Sunday Linkert leacking: stupid (maybe) story inside.

Linkert related issues
gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Sunday Linkert leacking: stupid (maybe) story inside.

Post by gosilver »

Yesterday was a beautiful day here to ride my Pan. A few drops of rain, so I waited in the garage checking the spark plugs, cleaning them, tightening the nuts, checking oil. Well, the rain stops so "let's ride!". Open fuel, air, two kicks, engine on, a kick: nothing. I feel a strong smell of gas, and I see a lake under the bike. The first thing I thought, as a "pan newbie" was: "for sure this is the hardest problem to solve in a Linkert" (M74B). I also thought about why I do not live in the US, maybe near Richie or Rubone. So I start to work. The leacking came from the sealing nut of the bowl and the connecting plate of the carburetor with the engine. I disassembled the filter, the plate, the rigid line of the gas, the support plate Linkert from Cranck, and I tight sealing bolt of the bowl. I move to the left side, and squeeze the four plate bolts holding Linkert. I open the gas, and I can turn on the bike, but I see a gas tear always sign out of the retaining nut bowl. I again pulled everything down and further tightened the nut. Result, no longer leacking. After all this work ... I have a doubt. It is not simply that, as in all the carbs in the world, had blocked the float? Is not that rather than remove and tighten, would be enough two or three shots at the bowl with the wooden handle of a hammer (as it usually does)?
Looking back I see no other reason for a leacking so copious. Perhaps, working and moving, I just moved the 'stuck float. I imagine that sometimes happen to you too. There are remedies (if indeed it was only a problem of floating stuck) to decrease the chances that happen? or was it just the nut of the bowl does not close? however it can not be any of these things and I have to check something else? Thanks, as always, guys.
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Sunday Linkert leacking: stupid (maybe) story inside.

Post by blewcrab »

I have had same problem ...I tightened the bowl nut to stop leak ...u can order a new copper crush washer if that dosent work .
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

I ride the pan today: no fuel on the ground. Probably was only the nut (then the copper seal) not locked well (I hope... :D )
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

Gosilver, My experience has been to be leak free the copper crush washers can be used over only a couple times if your lucky. After that over tightening can cause all kinds of problems. Its good to have some extras hanging on a nail in the shop. Hope this helps, Gary
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

6hds wrote:Gosilver, My experience has been to be leak free the copper crush washers can be used over only a couple times if your lucky. After that over tightening can cause all kinds of problems. Its good to have some extras hanging on a nail in the shop. Hope this helps, Gary
Thank you Gary. I'll do it for sure.

Return to “Linkert”