Super E Carb Manifold for Early panhead

S&S carburetor isues
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Super E Carb Manifold for Early panhead

Post by clunker1 »

I am installing a super e carb on an 80" panhead motor with plumber style manifold heads (already have the super e from another bike). The heads are newly refurbished with plumber style manifold nipples. I plan to use peek seals. The stock linkert manifold is much smaller inside diameter than the s&s bore of 1.875. All s&s guidelines require o-ring manifolds and s&s 1.875 bore manifold (o-ring style).

I had a thought on this but wanted to run it past the forum.

My insane solution to this was to make my own manifold from 1-3/4" 13 BWG steel tube for the section to the heads (1.750 od cut to 1.703 at heads with 1.56 ID as stock) and 2" 16 BWG tube for the carb mount section ( 2.0 od;1.870 id; .065 wall). Also thought it might be better to cheat the id a little and go to 2" 14 BWG tube for
a little more strength (.083 wall and 1.834 id). I plan to use a carb support in any case.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Dennis
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Super E Carb Manifold for Early panhead

Post by 58flh »

Dennis---This will surely be a undertaking& not to mention a feat--& you still might have a LEAK!.--The easiest way is o-ring manifold/or Make that OEM manifold work-(from Alum. ofcourse!).It would take way less time ,Less figuring/& you always can put it back!.I used a OEM Manifold on mine.But I Tapered the the runner to where it would have enuff strength on them bumpy roads,Besides you have to oyjerwise the carb. bolts-up to a .240 ring in its flow & that will interfere with pumpshooter & Enrichment valve for those COLD mornings!It took me a good 2-days to finish-up but I was doing other crap inbetween.It wors GREAT!/you get the stock clamps to use They don't ride or slip inward!/& Bubble-Tuning is very easy using parts that actually belong there!.Im sure other guys might have one handy to go!--You never know if you don't ask!---Good-Luck---Respectfully---RICHIE
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

Richie,
Thanks for the reply. Head hog installed and riveted new plumber style nipples in the heads and I am very reluctant to replace them with o-ring nipples. Are you saying I can simply make a linkert-to-s&s super e carb adapter, tapering the id from the linkert manifold id, out to the larger inside diameter for the super e carb? Will that mess up the carburetor functioning?
Thanks
Dennis
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I have a Linkert to Bendix adaptor, it makes me think there must be a Linkert to S-n-S adaptor out there, too.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

DENNIS----Do not change anything Don did!/He pressure tested & your good to go there!.//Yes there have been a few LINKERT to S&S set-ups around!Still Running around!.I think just about anything can be had!/30-yrs. ago we had 10 of everything ,maybe more?--But today I couldn't find it in me to ruin a OEM Link. Manifold.There are easier ways today & ALOT CHEAPER! ---Respectfully----Richie
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Clunker, I just saw this on eBay, and remembered your post. It looks like it might be worth looking into..............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-ZEL-Inta ... 1a02663e75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Big, I think he wants a plumbers intake...
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

clunker,
An easy way to do the conversion without messing with your nicely re-done heads is to use your regular plumber-type manifold and one of the adapters that go from the standard Linkert 4 bolt pattern to the Bendix 2 bolt. The type I've used are already tapered on the inside diameter to make the transition between the two different diameters.
If you don't want to modify the adapter by cutting off the Bendix 2 bolt flange and welding on an S&S 3 bolt flange, you can easily make an adapter plate to go from 2 bolt Bendix pattern to the S&S 3 bolt pattern.
I've done this with Keihin CV carbs when adapting them to the plumber type manifolds. Keep your adapter plate as thin as you can and your S&S or Keihin CV won't stick out any further to the right (and in the way of your leg!) than a Linkert does.
You may or may not also need to modify your throttle linkage slightly to avoid interference with the heads.

Geo.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panacea wrote:Big, I think he wants a plumbers intake...
You're right, my mistake.
I'll have to look, I think I have one of the adapters that George mentioned.
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

Update: In order to get the best flow on the intake manifold, I ordered steel tubing with the ID of the heads and the ID of the S&S carb. The Tee branch was first machined for length to minimize the gaps from manifold to plumber fitting face. Then the OD of both ends were machined down to fit the ID of the PEEK seals. Machined out the Tee branch and the straight branch (from the carburetor) to make the Tee weld joint. Kind of tough to make exactly square but do-able. Finally, made an end flange for the S&S Super E and welded to the straight. Installed the manifold and found it took very little torque to seal the PEEK seals compared to brass seals in the plumber fittings. Finally, I fabricated a manifold brace from the carb flange to the crankcase top center bolt. So far, it works like a champ. I have the specs (material and BWG thickness) for the tubing if anyone needs it.

I still appreciate all the comments on this original post.

Dennis

Return to “S&S”