Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bitsapan
Bikes: 78 Cbx 1000
2008 Triumph Spped Triple
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

pull starting behind a car

Post by bitsapan »

Since I wrecked my knees and can`t kickstart Janis. She has been sitting in the garage. I`m waiting for delivery of Russ Peterson`s Right side electric start.
Its a long wait.
So to put an end to my misery, a good friend said he would start her, then I could take a ride :D
Problem was he could`nt start her :( Never mind. we can pull her behind the car.
I jump on and away we went. Second gear, little bit of speed, drop the clutch and away we go.
Holy shit, she went like crazy. Frightened the life out of me. Had too turn her off at the key. :shock: Good job we were on an industrial area, with plenty of space.
Could`nt see any problem. Everything seemed to be okay.
Back home pull the carb off, clean, check, double check. Did`nt seem to be anything wrong. Then I noticed that when I put the throttle cable on it was tight. Found out that the cable had dropped out of the little metal sleeve, up at the handle bar, so she was running at a fair rate without me giving gas....
Silly little thing, but I will be out again tomorrow to see if we can get a bit of life in her.
Maybe my friend can kick her over now that the throttle is fixed....
65panhed
Bikes: 1965 Panhead chopper
2001 Roadking Stage IV

Re: pull starting behind a car

Post by 65panhed »

Good luck & be carefull!
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

For anybody contemplating the "old pull-start" trick -
Never tie a knot in the rope :)
thebeast
Bikes: 1949 FL
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

And when it fires, don't accelerate too quickly and run over the rope. Had a friend once con me into pull starting his XLCH. When she fired, he took off after dropping the rope, entangling it in his front wheel. After it pitched him off and I drug it a few feet on the asphalt, it layed there on its side,running WFO till he ran over and hit the kill switch. I still cringe when I think of it!
Good luck!
James
bitsapan
Bikes: 78 Cbx 1000
2008 Triumph Spped Triple
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

Post by bitsapan »

Out today, trying to start Janis with my left leg. Not a good idea :( , though she was so close. Then my friend jumped on her a she fired up.
Fantastic.
Took a ride for about an hour. The last 30 mins or so it was pissing down. Ofcourse I did`nt have waterproofs.....
Great fun, even in the rain :D

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”