Trouble starting hot -53 Pan

gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Trouble starting hot -53 Pan

Post by gilb »

Just got my 53 FL back together, replaced neck on frame, painted, etc and installed a quickstart 2000. I start it cold and run for 20-40 minutes and it runs great. Problem is that I cannot start it again, when hot. I have first tried starting without touching anything, also wide open throttle, in case it is flooded, also choke like cold start, but nothing. I pull the plugs and do not smell any fuel and they do not look wet. I have tried starting fluid, no pop. I pull a plug out and watch it fire, every time just before TDC and again at about 90 degrees from there, not sure if that is right. Any suggestions? Thanks!
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Trouble starting hot -53 Pan

Post by old.wrench »

gilb,
What carb are you running?
S&S "E" ?
or
Linkert?

Geo.
gilb

Post by gilb »

Sorry, forgot to say, but I am running the Linkert carb
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

When you put it all together, did you bubble test the manifolds? Also, did you adjust the linkert as per the manual? Should be 5 turns out on the low speed and 2 out on the high speed as a default setting. This default setting is rich and will be a pain to start when hot or even warm. Does it idle ok when running? This would be a first tell sign if you have any intake leaks. Did you make sure the carb to manifold is flat? Phenolic spacer flat? I had a warped linkert in that area that was giving me fits.

Ran
gilb

Post by gilb »

First, it idles and runs perfect. On this disassembly, I never seperated the manifold from the heads, but had tested it for leaks before and I did have the carb to manifold, flat. I have put about 2500 miles since doing that. I adjusted the carb back then too and have not done anything since, but it was fine then. It did get a bit harder to start when I put hydraulic lifters in it, but now it won't start at all when hot.

Thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Gilb---Bubble-test it the right way/Sounds like a Leak,intake.If your firing up on 1-hot when cold--When shes hot Things move/Also I know if a hall/sensor gets hot/They act-up.Most electronics use Di-Electric grease under the sensor to aid in cooling,& moisture.Also correct wires & Coil are needed.Dont forget BATTERY!--Electronics are very hungry & need the correct voltage to work right.Just a few things to throw at you.I would Bubble-Test as RAN suggested earlier.-----Richie
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

gilb,

Did you replace your stock coil with a 3ohm coil at the same time when you installed the Quickstart 2000?
gilb

Post by gilb »

I did not replace the coil. I did an ohm check and have 2.8, which is suppose to be acceptable(actually had different readings on different meters, so could be less). Where do you find a 3 ohm coil, if that could make a difference?

Also on the intake check, can you check using propane around the connections? I have a snap-on product, using propane, that I use on cars to test that way. If you have a leak it will raise the idle.

Thanks to all for your input.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

I wouldn't recommend using propane. Remove the carb, then attach regulated 15psi of air. I use a rubber stopper with a quick disconnect air nipple threaded in it that fits in the manifold. I worm clamp it to the manifold. Soapy water is what seems to be the consensus.
Spray all around the intake and the valve cover screws a cause you never know....

Ran
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

gilb,

Yes, 2.8 ohm is ok.

http://www.ebeyond2000.net/performance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Mark--He replied that 2.8 is ok!--It will give you max. performance from that system//Any elect. sys. for that matter.If you look at his sitefir the Q-2000--He says anything from 3-ohm to 4.7-stock points coil.Is good to use.I bet the coil that you have is 3-ohm!--I mean 2.8 is close enuff!--I have 3-different meters & the Fluke is the best one--The craftsmen is 3-off & the Snap-on reads exactly as the Fluke.----Richie
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Riche,

Yes, I did read he has the 2.8 ohm coil. I was only pointing out the Q-2000's requirements from the website.

And yes, I have a 3 ohm Dyna Coil I use for my Q-2000.

Return to “Troubleshooting”