Auto advance timing: can I use a timing light

All ignition related articles
bpaulson

Auto advance timing: can I use a timing light

Post by bpaulson »

Description: Can I use a timing light and at what RPM should it be when setting the timing?

Greetings,

My 57 has an aftermarket Auto Advance distributor, 12 volt system, and I need to know how to set the points and timing. Can I use a timing light and at what RPM should it be when setting the timing?

Thanks
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Auto advance timing: can I use a timing light

Post by fourthgear »

bpaulson
First the repop auto dist. doesn't have timing marks on it like the factory dist. does . You will have to set it up visually like one of the photos in the manual, I put mine with the screw that holds the cap on in front , just to make it easier to get at , your points will be out in front sorta too , your front cam lobe ( on dist. ) should be pointing almost at you when set in case . you can rotate your dist. to set it up that way , set your points first ( you can rotate dist. to set points before setting timing, bring your timing mark in inspection hole on left side of motor where the slash is dead center of the hole , that will be adv. time , you will be real close to this because you put the front intake valve close to closing and the comp. stroke is next and rotate your kick starter slowly cause its easy to pass it up ( it sometimes helps to have a helper )once that slash is where you want it you can put a static timing light on where the condenser and coil wire hook up on the dist. term.( a static timing light is nothing more than a 12v light with two wires one to ground and the other to the cond./coil term on dist. , I use a 12v tester that looks like a small screw driver / with a lead on it and alligator clamp , the point on the end I use for a ground and the other is clamped to the cond./coil term. on dist. ), with ign. on and points open it should light. now comes the fun part , you have to advance the thro weights or advancing mech. to just light the light and thats where you set the timing and tighten the clamp on the dist. at that point and after clamping it down recheck it again by adv. the adv. mech. to see if it just lights up, if so you can start it and adj. with a ign. timing light if you want @ around 2000 rpms.meaning you will see that slash in the window at that rpm.. Mine starts first kick with just the static timing method. If I missed something some one here will fill in I'm sure or you are confused , I can walk ya through it .
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

b paulson, It's easy, on the base under the points there are two slotted holes each with a screw, these are used to fully advance the advance weights on your auto advance distributor. Just loosen them enough to rotate the base to the other end of the slotted holes,re-tighten and static time as was described above, when finished return to original location. If you want use a timing lite to verify timing, the mark should be in the center or slightly to the right of center @ 2000 rpm. LOL...MW
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Auto advance timing

Post by 58flh »

Hey guys---58flh here, as far as timing your beloved pan--throw the light away,you cant see anything anyway,even with a magnifier type! The best way I found to time is this:take out both sparkplugs,jack-up rear-wheel off ground just enough to turn it, now your points should be set at .022 !take the site plug out,put in 2nd gear &rotate the wheel untill you have the front cyl on compression stroke.I set the mark dead center in the hole,By rotating the rear wheel you will take up any lash in the camcase,so you end-up with a true TDC. manual calls for 7/16 before top dead center & by setting the mark in the center of the site-hole you have as true TDC as you can get!All lash has been taken-up cam-gear breather oil-pump,piniongear,primary-chain,drive-chain,etc. Now look at your points-front-cyl. is the short lobe on the cam. Hook-up a testlight or voltmeter,now advance your cam with ignition on,as soon as they open you will have light,or meter will read 12v or 6v whichever you have.now take your feeler & check the gap-if its not .022 adj. till it is & do the check-light again,remember tightening up the point screws will affect the .022! Once this is done-you will have a 1-kick pan! I dryfire 3 times,hit the ig. &1-kick everytime. GOOD-LUCK & remember to use good bluestreak 6cyl. chevy points. These make all the difference! Enjoy 58flh
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

58flh.

You say to use "bluestreak 6cyl. chevy points".

Got a Part number for that?

Going to be in Portland Or, in Nov, and will be visiting local NAPA (or similar) parts stores.

George
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

George, I don't know the part number but if you go into the auto store and ask for points for a '67 Camaro 6cyl 250" engine, you will get the correct points, just about any sixties model Chevrolet 230" or 250" 6cyl engine will work. Make sure you try to get the Bluestreak brand.

Aloha...Mike

You sure you wanna run points in that little hot rod your building?
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Mike,

Thanks for the info on what to look for....

No sir, the little flattie's gonna have a Fairbanks mag on it.

The 58 FL engine is going to have the points set.

I got a frame, swingarm waiting at my stepdaughters house in Portland Or, and when wifey and I visit in Nov....I will finally get to touchy-feely the parts.........Plus, we get to look at some land....and a couple of houses. So we can make up our minds .. Either build new house when we leave Germany.......OR just buy one.

George

PS, waiting on a parts swap deal for other pan parts :D
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

george, did you pick up the swingarm on ebay? so your gonna live in oregon?
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Yep...

got the swingarm off ebay, came with the pivot bolt as well.

Oregon living, hummm.......according to the better half .. we are moving there.

Stepdaugher and her husband, and his family is there, well established they are.

And stepdaughter's now a preggo....so you can bet mamma is going to be near the grandchild.

AND I am going to spoil the shit out of that kid........ :lol:

Guns, hunting, fishing, bikes......4X4's, camping the whole lot!!!

Girl or Boy, no matter. Cuz, grandkids are a parents revenge.

George
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

George, Oregon living is good. I'm enjoying some really nice rides right now. I ride all through winter. Don't head out in rain or icy stuff but there are a lot of days to still ride.

Having the kids over tonight. First grandchild, (grand-daughter). Good stuff.

When I finally get the '41 maybe I'll hook up with ya'll in Portland. Too embarrassing riding the '98. Har.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

lownslow.

Thanks, it would be nice to meet others from these boards. Where ya located?

And don't be embarrassed to ride what ever Harley ya got. heck, over here some of the German guys I used to ride with, would always say, I sure would like to go riding as a group....but you ride a Harley and we can't ride together.......HAHAHA.....fooled them, 2000 Electr Glide, Ultra Classic, with Hondas Yamamammas.....BMW's.... I did not (and still don't) care what bike your riding, as long as your riding and having fun!

Have fun with the granddaughter, I already see moving is going to be such fun.

Just got to find a international shipper from Germany to Portland,.....and will take my WLA and put it into a crate.

Going to be an adventure I can tell.

George
Edaddy
Bikes: 1965 Panhead
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Post by Edaddy »

Thanks so much for this - I was scouring my manuals and the intertubes looking for info because my distributor is one of these. Could not for the life of me figure out how this worked without the "timing marks" shown in the manuals. My distributor did not look like any of the pictures and this solved it. Thanks!

Return to “Ignition”