how do I remove frt. wheel 59 pan?

Wheels, hubs and tires
neilkw
Bikes: 1959 FLH
1978 BMW R1000RS

how do I remove frt. wheel 59 pan?

Post by neilkw »

My brake cable broke on my stock 59 FLH, and To remove the front wheel I had to undo the allen bolts ,but nothing happened. The book says put the front brake on which I couldnt. I of coarse pulled the axel .The wheel didnt want to separate from the drum. Finally I removed the front fender which was preventing me from pulling the wheel sideways. both HD and Clymer think this should be a piece of cake( but both mention appying the brake). What should I have done? I'm waiting for a new cable and wondering if I should put the fender on before the wheel or visa versa.I have the full size fender.
Neil
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Re: how do I remove frt. wheel 59 pan?

Post by Gotnoclass »

When you say Allen bolts, do you mean the lugs connecting the drum to the hub? The stock axle is machined in a way to act as a spacer as well. If you have it removed the wheel and drum connected should slide off the backing plate. You may have a broken spring (bottom one I would guess) that pushes the pads tight on the drum. If you pulled the lugs out, nothing else should be holding the wheel to the drum.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Post by Tattoo »

What about some pics of what your doing? The backing plate adjuster pin,blot that's in the lower leg was some of it. They don't come out easy. Put the allen bolts back in and put the wheel in as one unit when you put it back on the bike.....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The center sleeve of the hub is often stuck to the stub axle in the fork leg. Sometimes a bit of wiggling and persuasion will get it loose (make sure the stub axle nut is still tight when doing this). Sometimes the entire assembly needs to come off together. The stub axle to hub connection should ALWAYS be greased up assembly to prevent this occurrence, as well as the axle being greased before installation. Frequent washings will also add to the issues.
The brake drum is sometimes stuck on the hub as well. A couple of raps with a brass drift will generally knock it loose allowing the drum to stay on the bike with the wheel removed.
neilkw
1978 BMW R1000RS

Post by neilkw »

Thanks guys, I think if I was able to have applied the frt brake I'd have no problem. It seems the drum was coming half off and the tire was hitting the fender so I couldnt pull it off . I have my new cable but ordered shoes too,and am waiting for them. I'll see how it goes . I have the fender and bumper off now , so it should go back on easier.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Post by Tattoo »

How bad are your shoes? Unless they are real bad I wouldn't change them. Aftermarket shoes suck.....All I have bought for drum brakes have to be arched before the work very good.....
neilkw
1978 BMW R1000RS

Post by neilkw »

Hey Tattoo ,I allready ordered shoes from J&P. mine were all chewed up on the ends from removing the drum.( I guess)
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

Hey, where did you order your new cable from and was it both an inner and an outer case, thanks

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”