Front end shimmys when slowing down

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Hello there 1950bobber. Tell me please, isnt 59 degree rake stock? Or is it 31 degrees?........partshunt
1950Bobber

Stock rake

Post by 1950Bobber »

59 degrees is certainly NOT stock rake (!)....as for what IS stock rake...that depends on the frame/year!

Now, I'm NOT claiming to know JACK-SH*T here, but according to Bruce Palmer (most of us use this source in lieu of Socratic knowledge :roll: )....

"The 1936 61 and 1937-1947 Big Twin frames are further broken down into the short neck (steering head) angle category (1936-1940), the medium neck angle category (1941-1945), and the long neck angle (1946-1947). The short neck is 28 degrees, the medium neck is 29 degrees, and the long neck is 30 degrees 3'. All the 1948-1964 frames are of the long neck, 30 degrees 3', type"

These are NOT my words, but rather Bruce Palmer's description. As with all historic Harley Data...there MAY be room for extraneous informative knowledge swimming within the brains of our most experienced/mentored/sacratically intellegent members here on the Hydra-Glide.net.....RULE OUT NOTHING, basically!

Respectfully submitted.
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Thanks panhead for submitting the frame drafting. I have the same one, notice the 52 and later toolbox mount?. Thats another topic. Your drawing should show a 30-7 degree angle as mine does. Its not clear on my pooter but expect it is 30.7 degrees. In any event, thats taken from a vertical line. When laying out the frame, you need to establish a vertical line from a horizontal line first. I did that and thats why my refference of 59.3 degrees is from a horizontal line down the frame. Then you gotta use a square to get a vertical line to come up with 30.7 degrees. A bit harder to establish but I did that to check the angle again and got the 30 plus a bit degrees measured from vertical. Thats why I used 59 degrees in my statement earlier in this post. I got 59.3 degrees from the horizontal line in the drawing. Bike rides fine but I only have 60 miles on it and time will tell if it goes into a wabble. In my view, 30.7 degrees and 59.3 degrees be the same depending on which reference line you use, vertical or horizontal. Forks look correct parked to another stock pan. Your thoughts please........Joe
1950Bobber

Frame neck angle

Post by 1950Bobber »

Partshunt.......

Never saw or heard of the neck angle being described as "59 degrees". I believe it is universally attributed to the ranges Bruce Palmer, for instance, pens it.

However.....

If you KNEW everything you wrote in your LAST reply.....then I don't see any need to beat a dead horse...Heck, you know...you just choose to approach it from a different.....ANGLE!!!!! (sorry, couldn't let the pun escape)

We're good..........

:roll:
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

How about the stock trail number? I'd like to check mine before changeing my tubes back to stock to see how much it changes, it seems with the 2" over tubes I really have to crank the bars to turn a short radius , and without the dampener tightened up she wants to wabble. I'm hopeing for some big improvement here. Mike
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Mike...

Not ignoring you Brother....I'm just not in a place to check stock trail! Anybody out there willing to check their trail for Mike here, if you're running a stock Hydraglide front end?

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
65panryder
Inactive member

check springs

Post by 65panryder »

my brother had a broken spring in one tube and on decel bike had shimmy. another friend built a basket up and had a non-paired set of springs that had slightly different spring rates, that bike had shimmy on decel as well.

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”