Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Wheel hub gasket

Post by PanPal »

Sorry Bigincher. I had shimmed it and put it together (bad sides towards the shims and roller bearings) by time I read your offer. I will pick up a OEM pair when I'm at a friends house next time. I'll replace them some time this riding season. It's not all that deep to get back in there and I needed to roll it around for now. Very kind offer my friend!I think the ones I saw on e bay were aftermarket.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Well, that explains it. I didn't know.....!
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

OK, I've got both hubs all put together, new gasket and cork seals. Replaced a couple torn shims in each with the same size shims. Lubed up real good, put back together, shot in some grease. All seems fine except the star side of the hub, I believe it is the thrust bearing sleeve doesn't turn when I try and turn it with my fingers. I haven't put in anything different, just cleaned it up, replaced shims with proper size. Hub inner sleeve spins fine. I'm thinking the new cork seal between the housing and cover maybe squeezing the thrust bearing sleeve a bit. Will that loosen up? Is this anything to worry about? Everything else checks out fine, parts all looked good. Wheels were spinning freely before I took them apart. Any thoughts? Because the cork seal is new and maybe a bit larger, would I have to remove some shims? I guess my thought was when it was originally new it would be exactly as is now....?
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

There is no relationship between the cork seal and the shims. It goes between the inner cover and the outer cover.
It's possible that the cork is just tight. That is why you must set the end play without it in place, then install it last. Did you actually go through that process, or did you just replace the shims without checking for proper end play?
Since the end play is only 3 to 5 or 4 to 6 thousandths, you'd want to check to make sure you have that. If the end play isn't there, you're going to have torn up shims again. And maybe that's why they were torn in the first place.
I think you should remove the star side cork, put the screws back in and check the end play. You can feel it by hand.

Try this- if you loosen all the screws, can you turn the bearing sleeve then?
If so, you've got too many shims in there. Still need to properly set the end play.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

OK. But I'm still confused about checking the end play. Am I checking to see how much the thrust bearing moves? The hub inner sleeve moves no problem and has some slop. Having read the posts and looked at other links, I guess I'm not sure what end play I'm checking. I'll unscrew the screws and see if things change. I'll take out the cork seal and screw it back together and check it again. My thought was if the bike came out with 5 shims, then 5 shims it is. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know what I find.
Kim
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Kim,
In order to check the end play the inner sleeve must be tight against the thrust collar. There are many ways to achieve that. One is to assembly the axle and spacers to the hub properly tightened, another can be placing the entire assembly in a large vice pushing the inner sleeve tight against the thrust collar. Or any other means you think of. The end-play you are checking is when the entire inner assembly is tight relative to the hub shell and inner star cover. So when all is tight the hub should move back and forth (end to end) the specified amount with no grease in it.
ultrapan
Bikes: '64 FL,'42E,'03 Ultra Classic,

Post by ultrapan »

This is how I set up the end play,all parts clean and dry no cork,Once greased and with cork installed you will not be able to detect end play accurately.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Yep, that's exactly how I do it, too....................

PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Good pics, those help a lot. I went to 3 different bike shops, 2 independents and the local HD Dealer. I asked them to show me how they checked the end play on a star hub. They all looked at me with stars in their eyes. One started telling me I needed new bearing races and showed me a modern bearing so I wrote him off as any help. Another, after explaining to him what the star hub was told me end play was the the play if I took the tire, a hand on each side to see if there was any tilt to it and the HD guy just said we have no one that has ever worked on one. Just goes to show you how valuable this forum is! Independents make and work on newer bikes so although they will offer to fix it, I don't believe they know anymore than I do. Going to do as Bigincher stated and if I can't figure it out that way I'll take my hubs apart and clean the new grease up this weekend, put the wheel in the swingarm and see what kind of play I have. I'll let you know how it goes.
Headed to the Donnie Smith Bike and Car show in St. Paul tomorrow. Was there 3 years ago and that's where I found my 62. Hoping they have a good swap meet to find some parts. Let me know if any of you are there and maybe we could meet up.
Kim

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”