" rare electric " 12v generator

ed53-+
Bikes: 1948 fl ,2007 softail

" rare electric " 12v generator

Post by ed53-+ »

hey guys , took the old gen to a rebuild place they told me it was trashed , ok i purchased from a company called rare electric
a 12v gen , i researched and this product seems well worth the 102.00$, shipped to my door the very next day (free). so far so good.
im using a jpcycles 50.00$ solid state regulator , now the Question. should i ground the generator ? and if so, which post ?.
some of the details from the harly manual show a ground, but i believe that to be the 6v models .

1948 panhead, 12v system
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: " rare electric " 12v generator

Post by RUBONE »

The generator is grounded by bolting it to the engine. There is no separate ground. DO NOT ground the posts, you will fry your new genny and regulator. Make sure the regulator base is grounded. If bolted solid to the frame or engine it is already grounded. If you rubber mount it run a ground from the base to the frame.
Not sure what Harley Manual you are referring to as they have never asked for a generator to be grounded other than through its attachment.
ed53-+

Post by ed53-+ »

thanks for the input , there is a gasket between the gen and engine case , but the 2 bolts should complete the ground
when looking at the wiring diagrams , their showing a wire running from the gen to ground , maybe thats the meaning
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

ED-53+-----By any chance did you bench test it?---& if so what kind of amperage was you getting?--If not & its on the bike already /What are you getting at the battery voltage-wise when you raise the RPMs to 2000?---The reason I ask is ,I may have seen one of these Gennies for$102!--It worked for a very short while,& then the problem was all the copper on the armature was jammed inbetween the segments,& you could not ADJ. the armature to field-coil space!--I remember the screws that held the field-coils RUSTED real bad QUICKLY! & I had to drill them out.---Hope you didnt get the same unit!---Respectfully---RICHIE
ed53-+

Post by ed53-+ »

i specifically ordered the 10amp or low amp , this along with the solid state regulator , im hoping for a years worth anyhow. one thing i noticed there was alot of end play, i know its risky if i have any problems ill will let all the readers know, the women who took my order told me she had sold 15 units this month, and no comebacks
fingers crossed, no grounds,
thanks
for all the info
ed
ed53-+

Post by ed53-+ »

ok everything working fine, had to polarize, from bet to "A" post , didnt charge while running, did it again, this time i flashed the plate in which the solid state reg is bolted to, which is bolted to the front engine mounts ( the plate i fabricated at the shop i work in ). and now im charging, bike running fine, now to hone in the timing , etc,etc,
thanks for all the input,
ed

Return to “Generator”