Hard Hot Starting and S&S E's

S&S carburetor isues
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Re: Hard Hot Starting and S&S E's

Post by panhandler »

Richie, it has to be the bore, because I just put a whole new major rebuild kit into the carb in the spring.(remember, the carb is 21 years old) The shaft is new. As I said, the guy at S&S (same guy who told me about the roll pins in the weights) didn't seem to think it was a problem unless you were 'forcing' air into the bore area....dunno.

regards,
Keith
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If the carb is that old!--Then Forsure you have to make bushings for a nice fit!//I mean if you can wobble that shaft side to side,Its lathe time on both the shaft & the bores.///The B thats on the shortster my wife rides had .0625 of wear!--I made bushings for it 15yrs. ago & still going strong.--Respectfully---RICHIE---If I have to ever replace them again -Im thinking on using some spent 45 or 9mm shells for a press fit & the lip would be the stop.Might have to look for a caliber of closest size/Then cut to fit.---Richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Keith!

Maybe horizontal shafts are more forgiving.

But being worn out at a vertical shaft is what gave Linkerts a bad name, after thirty years or so.
Replacing the bushings is the only repair procedure in the manual!

....Cotten
dbanana
Bikes: HD

Post by dbanana »

I think I found my problem with hot starts. Most of my rides on the new engine have been in a 15-20 mile loop that keeps me close to home in case there are any problems. A few longer rides, but I have several bikes, and have been trying to get my break in miles on the back roads to avoid the sustained high speeds necessary on the big highway.
Now that I have 2000 miles on the new engine, I decided to try it on a longer run. My wife and I left on the bikes for a 120 mile run. About 35-40 miles out we stopped for a break, and I noticed that the idle was a quite a bit higher than it should be. I set it lower and we continued on our way. On the way back,we stopped in the same place, and I was able to set the idle a little lower again.
When I got the bike back in the shop... after a couple beers... I figured I would try the hot start thing again. Key on, don't touch the gas... and it started so fast it surprised me. Shut it off... tried it again... 7 times in a row,first kick.

I went out yesterday after work, and every time I stopped it started first kick... key on, no gas... even when people were watching :shock:

I think my problem was setting the idle without being fully warmed up.

So I have been riding lots of miles ( approx. 5000 July 1st to now)... and I have a sweet running and sweet hot starting bike... now if I could just get my hair to grow back... :twisted:
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

Well, I tried a new way of starting cold by giving it a couple of squirts and kicks, ignition off, then on with a kick, no go, it flooded....so that is eliminated, I will go back to my old tried and true of gas, enrichener on, ignition and 3-4 kicks for fire.

Haven't taken it out yet as I'm away, but will give it some trial runs when I get back.

@dbanana; glad you got her down friend. I know the joyous feeling you have....

regards,
Keith
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I think you need to tune your low speed jet when you get it good and hot,sounds to me that you may be running a bit lean in that circuit.Your idle will change from cold to warm but it should be a relatively consistent change and not to the point where you have to play with your idle setting...
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

Wanted to update those interested in this thread. All of you that indicated a manifold leak were right; finally got a tester together and it indicated several leaks between intake spigots and manifold, so I now have everything sealed up, adjusted and kicking as usual, starting cold after about 4 kicks with enrichener on.

However........I am now finding it running quite rich, I've turned off the pump, and just about have the mixture screw in all the way, but she is puffing some black smoke out the pipes. I'm running an intermediate jet of .028 which has always been the leanest I have run in 20 years and is what most guys in this area (about 2000') run or recommend. I'm usually running the mixture screw about 1 turn out from seat, and never had to turn it in this much. I haven't run it down the highway since I buttoned everything back up today and its been sitting for a few weeks so maybe just need to blow her out good?

Appreciate your input, as always.

regards,
Keith
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

Well, solved the rich running problem. When I last had the carb off, I replaced the screw with the new one from the S&S major kit, however, it doesn't have as deep a throw as the old one which prevented me from leaning it out.....put the old one back in and gave a wider adjustment window. Took the bike out for a 15 mile run, idles perfect at stop, shut off at home, restarted with one kick and no throttle. I let it sit for about 5 minutes at a time and restarted first kick. After letting it sit for 20+minutes, it just about fired then required a few kicks, clearing the carb and then it started. I tightened up the intake clamps a hair and it was good to go.....so.......I will never say NEVER, the next few months will determine things....but again, thanks to all of you for your input, and especially to those who continually nagged me to do a bubble test......never too old to learn new tricks.

regards,
Keith
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

58flh wrote:I found a solution to my long-ride & gas-up & go starting ritual!----You notice S&S stress about the 1-inch spacer !-(you need this-As the problem for hot starts I found is ,The routing of your gas line!-Insulate that between the jugs with another hose wrapped on top.
My panhead has been hard to start after it's good and warmed up for a long time, so I'm going to give this recommendation of wrapping a section of hose around the fuel lines a shot. It has also gotten a bit harder to start, so it's time to check for manifold leaks as well.
58flh wrote:The Carb. is hard to fire when your gas is boiling!.Im running the E with factory jetting!--I found theres no need for MORE main as a stock 74-incher dont need it!.Also I found that the foam-filter is junk I use a k&n pleated type its less restrictive!--(ever notice when you drop the cover & filter--1-kick & shes lit-up???).So I have written -up about some of the culprits in the K-Base about the float that im not going to type again,its in there.My E starts-up cold NO-ENRICHNER!--I have the pump set to dribble & 3-squirts &-3primer & 1-Hot--shes on!--You dont need that enrichner until november -December/IT SUMPS ALOT of fuel.When dead hot TOUCH NOTHING just kick her thru & shes running!.NONE of this is valid unless your sure of no VACUUM-LEAKS!--& suprisingly when I work on a customers bike Thats always a culprit!--I bubbletest 3-4 times in 4-months--You be surprised what you find!Sometimes its a 1/4-turn on the clamp!,Others its nothing!--Theres alot of movement between the barrels,& thats every day,You are going to find a leak at some point!.----Respectfully---Richie

Return to “S&S”