Starting problems

fullmetaljacket
Bikes: 1948 rigid fl/S&S Super E/ andrews cam/88"S&S Stroker bottom end/hydraglide front end

Starting problems

Post by fullmetaljacket »

have a 48 pnhd, 88 cubes,s&s super e, joe hunt mag, andrews cam,9:1 compression,50 miles on rebuild. Bought bike from estate of my best friend who willed bike to me-I wasn't going to fight his mother over bike so just waited till family sold it to me. Since then had both knees replaced(I'm 60).Anyway, had motor rebuilt(full overhaul), and have, from day one, had problems starting it. Read thread from Cotton on his routine to start and it worked almost flawlwss! two primer kicks, turn on ignition,crack throttle, kick and it started in two/three kicks! Next time-20 mins later-took alot more kicks-probably 10-12. 20/30 min more it ain't starting!read alot of your threads and everybody makes mention of advancing/retarding spark-is this done by cranking on mag clockwise/counter clockwise? any help would be appreciated
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Starting problems

Post by awander »

Looking at the mag from the top, rotating it clockwise will retard it.

If it is not kicking back when you attempt to start it, there is no need to retard the mag.

Make sure it is fully advanced after it starts.

If my '52 ever gives me trouble starting(usually when somebody is watching), I just open the throttle all the way and it usually starts in 1 or 2 kicks. Gotta' be ready to close throttle quickly.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I start mine all the time with no retard. If yours is bucking, back it off just enough so it doesn’t buck. Sounds like you got the cold start dialed in. S&S e can quickly drown the poor little thing. Hot, no need for prime, ignition on, crack the throttle, easy, you don’t want the accelerator pump shot. Kick it. Also you don’t want a mag bike poked right up against compression before kicking through. Best scenario is piston down the hole & your stroke brings it up through compression. I kick mine through wherever it lies.

2 bits is normally free but you’re new, you owe us a picture :wink:
fullmetaljacket
Bikes: 1948 rigid fl/S&S Super E/ andrews cam/88"S&S Stroker bottom end/hydraglide front end

thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a shot & let u know how well I do. thanks again for time and knowledge.
fullmetaljacket

YEEHAW BUDDY!!!! I am able to start the scooter at will, anytime I want, usually on the first kick! I just don't know how to tell you how much your time and knowledge means to me. Just many thanks. Back on the road for the first time in 3 years, thanks to you guys! I still haven't figured how to add my thanks to your "been thanked" list, but once I do, I will. :mrgreen:

Return to “Troubleshooting”