1991 evo ,clutch not fully diseengaging

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

1991 evo ,clutch not fully diseengaging

Post by neilw »

I rode this bike 2 miles last year , nonne the year berfore that ,and 5 miles the year before that,. I started it the other day and in first gear ( I didn't try the rest ) when the clutch hand levers pulled in all the way the bike creeps forward. It didnt to it before . Any ideas what would cause this?
Neil
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Re: 1991 evo ,clutch not fully diseengaging

Post by Mark44 »

neilw wrote:I rode this bike 2 miles last year , nonne the year berfore that ,and 5 miles the year before that,. I started it the other day and in first gear ( I didn't try the rest ) when the clutch hand levers pulled in all the way the bike creeps forward. It didnt to it before . Any ideas what would cause this?
Neil
Clutch cable stretching? That would be my guess. It's a simple matter to take the slack out of the cable so that your clutch disengages fully.
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

There is also an adjustment at the clutch itself. It adjusts the freeplay before the pushrod begins to disengage the clutch. If there is too much freeplay, the clutch won't fully disengage.

Since the bike has been doing alot of sitting, some of the clutch plates may have stuck together causing it to drag.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Change your primary fluid and ride it, it'll free up...Mike
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

91-EVO!---Most likely alot of miles!--(If alot of miles -then all that crap flowing in the primary from disc wear will GLUE itself to the others!!!--EVEN if olny 5000-Miles!--As IGRAM said if they sit they STICK!///A change of fluid & Go for a nice HI-SPEED RIDE for 50 miles down the pike & ALL should FREE-UP!--(as Panacia said).--Now if you have ALOT of miles --It may just need new clutch-discs!/& CLEAN the inside of Primary GOOD!-Put new clutch in & soak them in the FLUID first!---I know its not nessessary //BUT I have had diff EXP. with DIFF. manufactures PARTS!---SO I soak them ALL!--Put it together/Fill the primary with proper fluid,& YER GOOD to go!----Respectfully----RICHIE

Return to “Indians & other non-Harley models”