INFORMATION ON A HYDRA-DRIVE

Information about the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
GunnyGee
Bikes: 2013 Electra Glide Ultra
1997 Heritage Softail Classic

INFORMATION ON A HYDRA-DRIVE

Post by GunnyGee »

Greetings,

I am an avid rider of a 97 Heritage Softail Classic. One day I hope to own a vintage Harley.

Today, I am looking for your help identifying and or confirming the details about a bike my late father owned. Attached are two pictures of him and his bike in 1960. I'm guessing it is a 1954 (50th Anniversary edition) Hydra-Glide, based on the fender emblem. He passed away when I was a teenager and I never knew he owned this bike until years after his death.

My dad was a mechanic and worked on Police cars for the City of Detroit at that time. I'm guessing this is a police bike and he may have purchased it from city auction. It is my understanding that many municipalities purchased these bikes with black rims to reduce costs.

Anyway, please look at the photos and share your experience and knowledge about this bike. Thank you in advance

VPH-D

Re: INFORMATION ON A HYDRA-DRIVE

Post by VPH-D »

Looks like an early 54 Standard Solo machine with hand shift. The machine appears to have the standard oil tank/battery set up rather than the Police option.
VPH-D
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The gas tanks, fenders, and medallion are consistent with a '54 model. Many police departments (especially smaller ones) ordered plain non-radio equipped bikes so would have had standard oil tanks and batteries, so not having a police type does not preclude it from being an ex police bike. The black handlebars, forks and wheels point to a utility solo package but it has some add ons. The taillight would not have been chromed. The front bumper, buddy seat, and windshield brackets are later additions (brackets and bumper are aftermarket). The finish is very correct so other than a probable re-paint it is right for a utility unit including the cadmium plated horn trumpet, silver painted exhaust, etc. It appears to have had late '54 type sealing D-rings added to the engine. A nice machine that would be a gem to own now.
Sorry to hear you lost your father at such a young age. And good luck in your search for an old H-D.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i noticed the speedometer hand lock on the right handle bar. the exhaust and muffler appears to be in silver paint also consistant with a police bike.

the saddle bags appear to be WLA (army) style retrofitted for big twin use.

john
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Good eye John,
The switch on the right side bar appears to be a dimmer type switch as used on pursuit lights. I have never seen a clamp-on hand lock switch, only factory drilled. But pursuit lights were often clamp on type. The military type bags were sold by H-D for several years as a low cost alternative to the deluxe versions.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

robbie,

you are correct that is probably a lamp switch.

what is the opinion on the front bumper?

early 60's?

john
GunnyGee
Bikes: 2013 Electra Glide Ultra
1997 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by GunnyGee »

First, I would like to thank everyone that replied and have offered valuable information about my dads bike. Second, If helpful, I can email a scan of the original picture to anyone in order to help identify small details that may have been lost with the upload.

I recently discovered these pictures in my mothers old photo album and its really cool to know dad had a classic Harley. I plan have large prints of these pics made to hang up in my Harley room. Your details will added to the picture's description.

What is a: "buddy seat"

So, this is what I have: 50th Anniversary, 1954 Hydra-Glide , FL or FLF ? 74" Panhead, hand shift, probably repainted and had some type of a factory utility package added (police, etc.)

Again, thanks to everyone that offered information and I look forward to any updates that may come in the future!

Gary
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The Standard Solo equipment group was the base option group, sort of like a Biscayne in comparison to an Impala. The machine could be an FL or an FLE, but not an FLF, which means foot shift. The FLE was lower performance model intended primarily for police sales. FLF was an ordering code only, and not stamped into the VIN.
VPH-D
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

What is a: "buddy seat"
A buddy seat is a two person seat so you can take your girl with you.
Jerry
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

It's great to see shots of a standard solo model. I'd never seen silver painted mufflers, great photos, thank you
Adam
1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I'd never seen silver painted mufflers, great photos, thank you
Pan muffers are chrome or black from factory..
B&W photo, I'm guessing chrome.
Jerry
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Jerry that's what I thought , on second look they are chrome.
Adam
john HD

Post by john HD »

the pipes are what caught my eye on first glance. you are probably correct about the muffler.

what about that stripe by the tailight? earlier? or correct for a 54?

john
1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

what about that stripe by the tailight? earlier? or correct for a 54?
51 to 54 single stripe on fender.
Jerry
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

Front crash bar was removed, and what seems to be the bag mounts are painted the color of the bike, don't know what the bags are, they look early. Aftermarket ?
Adam

Return to “Identification”