Sifton Solids

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Sifton Solids

Post by Mose »

Just a few questions...
As I read the KBASE articles the consensus is that the small end of the aluminum push rods go on the tappet cups and the large end goes in the heads.
But...
the small end of my new rods does not seat firmly in the tappet cups, there is considerable side to side movement.
The small end 'feels' like they fit better in the top end and the large end seats perfectly in the tappet cups.
Also what happens if more that 65 Ft. Lbs. of torque is applied to the head bolts?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Sifton Solids

Post by 58flh »

MOSE----The P-Rods must fit CORRECTLY on the ROCKERARM & in the cup!.--Otherwise you will end-up Boring holes in your ROCKERARMs!.--I have seen arms that did not seat on the R-ARM correctly & both the seat now had a smaller seat Ground into it!--The cups stayed-fine as The P-rods fit correctly!.Again you have to wonder on the SIFTON PRODUCTS out there!--(used sifton parts are great if not Beat -up.---ARE you running a HYD. or SOLID-TAPPET???--IF solids then BE very careful when ADJ. the rods!--KEEP rolling the mill over after your done & check again!--(you will find that you will have to go more!--I cycle my mill & check atleast 5-6 times to make-sure its as best as IT CAN BE!!.).ON a HYD. lifter You will work fine with those P-rods!---BUT they STILL need to FIT CUPS & ARMs PERFECTLY!.----RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE 8)
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by Mose »

The large end shown in the picture below has a slight indentation and the smaller end has a flat spot.
Common sense tells me that the flat spot should be against the rocker arm which is also kinda flat.
And the large end that fits the lifter cup should be on the lifter.

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

After several issues with aluminum push rods I threw mine in the trash where they belong & got a set of steel ones from S&S. This is just my personal opinion but I advise you to do the same. Aluminum push rods are a pain in the rear if you're running solid lifters.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

HUULAPAN---THATS the OLNY way to go with solids!--In the beginning stages of my track days It was always & still is a good IDEA to shave weight off the valvetrain!--(BUT at what expence?-ALUM-P-RODS!)--THEY don't farewell on a street motor with solids!/AMEN to your post!----RICHIE :!:

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”