'63-'64 outside oiler cases for a '65

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
dunesie
Bikes: 1965 HD

'63-'64 outside oiler cases for a '65

Post by dunesie »

Ok, V-Twin doesn't make the replica '65 cases anymore and I have been unsuccessful at scaring up either a set of replica cases or OEM cases. So, I'm thinking, why not get a set of 63-64 replica cases, mill off the relay mount, and use them for a '65 project? I can't come up with any other difference in the '63-'64 cases from the '65 cases. '65 had the two holes in the block for the distributor but only used one for the auto-advance timer hold-down clamp. Any other differences that would make such a cross-application unfeasible?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: '63-'64 outside oiler cases for a '65

Post by RUBONE »

'65 cases are different where the primary bolts on, there is no flange on them. And '65 used two bolts for the timer, the clamp on type didn't exist until '66. '65 had a rotating head, a one year only item. They also differ where the crankcase breather exits the case due to the aluminum primary set-up. The oil pump is also different due to the lack of a passage in the left case for the primary chain oiler.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

dunsie---Don't mess-up a set of good cases,that can be used by somebody doing a resto!--IM by no means building correct #s bikes--but I do try & use OEM PARTS!--Doesent S&S have a shortblock kit for what you need?--or is it the Price that's scares you away?--Scares me to :lol: ,You have other options if you think it thru.Is the whole bike a 65-frame & all?--then I can understand your problem.---THERES a place that makes EXACT copies from 36 to 69 & leave the vin-pad clear for your #S---I cant remember the shop but BIG-INCHER turned me on to em in 1 of his posta!--TRY giving HIM a SHOUT!--ALSO I read they leave .040 over do you can finish-up your motor to whatever spec. you need!---Respectfully---RICHIE
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

THE PLACE is called---KNUCKLE-WORKS,----They make everything from exact specs.-& you can order leftside--Rightside -or BOTH as a set!---I believe the Leftside for a 47-knuck was $700,--Check it out -there prices are attached!--Richie

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”