Throttle control cable and Timer control cable lengths?

kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Throttle control cable and Timer control cable lengths?

Post by kehughes »

I have some new cables I bought for my '50 project, but they come in generic lengths and have to be cut down to the correct lengths...way to long right now. I remember reading in Palmer's book about some "get you in the ballpark" lengths to cut them down to, but I can't seem to find it in the book now. Anyone know those lengths or the location in the book.
Or better yet, if you have ANY advice on getting these to the correct length or the grip/cable installations, I would be grateful.

??Do's and Dont's???

Thanks
Keith
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Throttle control cable and Timer control cable lengths?

Post by old.wrench »

Keith,
According to Palmer, the "get you in the ballpark lengths" for stock type bikes are carb 49" and spark 58" for Glide bars. For springer type bars they are carb 44" and spark 53". Most important is to make sure the coils/cables are routed correctly and not in any bind when you turn the forks through their full cycle, stop to stop. The coils and cables cut pretty easy with a good pair of side or end cutters and if you have a fine file you can file off any sharp edges. Do your coils first, and then thread the wires through and make sure you have the full operation of the throttle lever and timer control before you trim the wire. Also make sure you lube the cables good; there are all sorts of fancy cable lubes out there, but I've found that regular old oil works real well for the coil and wire type cables.

Geo.
kehughes

Post by kehughes »

thank you for the quick reply. Good info. Tonight, I'll post some photos of my current routing and see if you guys can check my work just before I cut them.

Keith
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

It's always a bit nerve racking when cutting anything to size, go long and final adjust after you find the perfect routing.... Study those pictures...most of all have fun,
Adam
kehughes

Post by kehughes »

I'm a little late on some pictures, but this is what I came up with. I looked at '50 factory photos and this is what I could see(damn black and white pics!) . Anyway, thought I'd post these. IF I'm right, maybe they'll help someone else.

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

KIETH---As far as lubing the cables--I have had Excellent results using -(singer-sewing machine oil,& Browning gun oil!)-Hang them & put a few drops at the top & move the inner back & forth a few times-Then Put a few more drops & let them hang overnight!--Protection from rust & smooth as silk!.---Respectfuly---Richie
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Is there an easy way to lube the cable without disassembling everything?
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

Alot of bike shops have for sale cable lubing devices that clamp onto the end of the outside cable (and the inner sticking out the other side) with a hole to stick the straw from a can of cable lube into. The force of the gas in the can forces the lube all the way to the other end of the cable. I bought mine from a Yamaha shop years ago. Doc
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I use that style of aerosol cable lube on my modern bikes, but you have to expose the end of the cable. That's a big job on internal controls, more work and harder than just pulling out the inner wire and greasing it down.
Doc37W

Post by Doc37W »

In the photos, the tanks are off & the throttle cable end for the carb is exposed, it will work there. No need to tear into the grips part. As for the timer cable, unhook the end at the timer connection, lube there. Easy. Doc
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Doc37W wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:06 pm In the photos, the tanks are off & the throttle cable end for the carb is exposed, it will work there. No need to tear into the grips part. As for the timer cable, unhook the end at the timer connection, lube there. Easy. Doc
Look, I'm not hear to argue with you, Doc. Panacea is asking about lubing cables on a fully assembled bike. If you think it's easier to disconnect the wires at the timer and carburetor, then try to force the lube all the way uphill to the grips, that's fine.
My way of thinking is that if the cables need lube, so do the spirals. It's not difficult to unhook the wires at the timer/carburetor, disconnect the grip retainers (depending on style of controls) and pull the inner wire out. Then the spirals can be lubed, and the cables lubed when re-inserted. I use good old white lithium grease, a smear in my left hand coating the wire as I push it back in with my right.
But that's just my method, everyone has their ways. Maintenance of the controls is on the chart, needs to be done periodically. If you like your method, I'm not here to criticize, have at it. I use my method, which I know is effective and thorough with no shortcuts.
But I will keep an open mind about it. Are you convinced the aerosol pushes the lube all the way to the other end of the cable?
Doc37W

Post by Doc37W »

A can that is 1/4 full will push lube to the end of the cable. You can unscrew the plug at the end of the grip, pull it off, grease the roller & spirals. You can check at that time if it's lubed by moving the plunger by hand. also, spray a little lube around the plunger, too. Reassemble & ride. Doc
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Mine is the earlier closed-end controls, but same deal. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”