Hanging with My RSES

Featured articles
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Re: Hanging with My RSES

Post by rozemab »

Continuing on with the installation:

RSES does not come with any electrical harnesses, starter circuits, etc. Russ does provide some recommendations and I use many of them in this design. I elected to wire a heavy duty starter switch directly to the starter solenoid on the starter. The starter switch will be part of my toolbox since I have bags for my bike for carrying other stuff.

2013-12-16 11_23_22-RSES electrical.jpg
2013-12-16 11_23_22-RSES electrical.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
My next step is to get the oil bag rear mount welded up. I will provide a short write up on that soon.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

A picture of the rear mount for the new oil bag. Russ provides the base and two legs. The legs are purposely make long to allow you to cut them to length after mocking up the bag in the frame. In my case I had to remove about 1/2 inch off the leg so the shorter leg would fit underneath the battery shelf. Both the legs and the shelf are slotted to give you more flexibility.

My next step is off to the powder coater.

This shows the rear support in the frame.  The legs support the bag from underneath the battery shelf.
This shows the rear support in the frame. The legs support the bag from underneath the battery shelf.
IMG_0967.JPG (83.67 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Before pictures of the bag and mount.
Before pictures of the bag and mount.
IMG_0968.JPG (108.62 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
rocket ron
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1942 WLC bobber

Post by rocket ron »

I fitted one of Russ's RSES to my Duo earlier this year. As has been said before, a well crafted piece of equipment by a very helpful person. Can now actually start and enjoy my Pan again. I almost find excuses to turn it off just so I can restart it ( sad ).
When I bought mine Russ wasn't supplying the rear mount for the oil tank, only a pattern. I'm not the best fabricator so I made some spacers to lift the front of the tank giving plenty of room for accessing the starter; and used the rigid frame mounting bracket to bolt the tank to the rear fender. There is enough movement in the fender to swing it down and have everything line up.
Jdpan mentions losing the kickstart and I did think of that, but as I couldn't successfully kick it anyway not a great loss, only cosmetically. But then the RSES has it's own appeal.
Old habits die hard though. The other day I found myself glancing down to check the kicker pedal hadn't swung out (a pet hate).doh!
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Rocket Ron,

Is it the panhead curse that when a group of people are watching you, that *itch we can a panhead will not kick start? :D

Anyhow, I physically able to start my panhead ( in one or two kicks when nobody is looking) but decided my right knee needs a rest.

I wonder at times (I'm 290 lbs and fit to kick it over) how a smaller man or woman kicked one of these beasts over without breaking a leg!

Heck, one time I thought I broke an ankle when it kicked back on me !

Brian
rocket ron wrote:I fitted one of Russ's RSES to my Duo earlier this year. As has been said before, a well crafted piece of equipment by a very helpful person. Can now actually start and enjoy my Pan again. I almost find excuses to turn it off just so I can restart it ( sad ).
When I bought mine Russ wasn't supplying the rear mount for the oil tank, only a pattern. I'm not the best fabricator so I made some spacers to lift the front of the tank giving plenty of room for accessing the starter; and used the rigid frame mounting bracket to bolt the tank to the rear fender. There is enough movement in the fender to swing it down and have everything line up.
Jdpan mentions losing the kickstart and I did think of that, but as I couldn't successfully kick it anyway not a great loss, only cosmetically. But then the RSES has it's own appeal.
Old habits die hard though. The other day I found myself glancing down to check the kicker pedal hadn't swung out (a pet hate).doh!
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Update:

Oil bag and rear support bracket completed by the Powder Coater. Looks very nice.

First mock up show very little fitting needed for the new oil feed line. Remember to install the line first BEFORE installing the RSES unit. (Not enough room to wiggle the line into place once the RSES unit is installed.) In my situation, the height of the feed line needed to grow by 11/16 inch.

Began creating the wiring for the starter. Used some very durable 'netting' on the power line to minimize chafing . The six gauge wire is very flexible (sometimes called welding wire). Used a Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper to install the terminals. (Regarding HF tools: I know it, you know it, my dog knows it, that HF tools can suck. However in this case, their hand held hydraulic crimper is a very nice tool that performs well. :D )

The smaller diameter harness contains two 10 gauge wires. They will terminate to the tool box on the right side of the frame. The larger six gauge wire will run directly to the "+" positive terminal on the battery,

Will start on the starter circuit next.

Powder Coating is the bee's knees for the oil bag !
Powder Coating is the bee's knees for the oil bag !
IMG_0971.JPG (93.32 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Building the harnesses in place.  Shrink tubing is used to give the installation a nice look.
Building the harnesses in place. Shrink tubing is used to give the installation a nice look.
IMG_0972.JPG (89.27 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Another look at the RSES unit installed on the tranny.
Another look at the RSES unit installed on the tranny.
IMG_0973.JPG (73.48 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

rozemab,

Thanks for the updates, please use more light with your photo's! Little dark.
El Hombre
Bikes: WLC 45
Harris Magnum ELR1172
Kawasaki VN1500 Drifter

Post by El Hombre »

Nice, neat set up.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

rozemab, thanks for taking the time to document this. i really appreciate it.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Update:

Wired up the starter circuit today. I decided to use the tool box to hold the fuse, switch and terminal plate. (See my previous post on the schematic.)

Don't even think about trying to drill a 5/8 in clearance hole in the sheetmetal. Use a punch instead!
I used a Greenlee 5/8 " punch for the push button switch.
I used a Greenlee 5/8 " punch for the push button switch.
IMG_0974.JPG (117.16 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
A couple of views with the completed wiring. I elected to fall back from using the MEG fuse to a BUSS fuse. Everything else is the same.
The two 10 gauge wires will enter/exit using the third hole in the box.  I installed a rubber grommet for protection.
The two 10 gauge wires will enter/exit using the third hole in the box. I installed a rubber grommet for protection.
IMG_0975.JPG (116.39 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Placement of the switch. It is rated at 60 amps, Plenty of capacity for the solenoid circuit.
Note I have the heads to the outside of the box.  Will seal them before assembling the box to the bike.
Note I have the heads to the outside of the box. Will seal them before assembling the box to the bike.
IMG_0976.JPG (121.81 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

More progress:

Found that my 3rd party (spin-on filter) was in the way of the clutch cable. I decided short term to go back to non filtered engine. I have mixed feelings about the factory ("oh say can you leak") setup. I just hated watching the drip drip drip and the major PIA changing the filter element. Besides I change my oil about every 1500 miles so I doubt a filter will be missed.

I have a replacement oil return line on order from Dennis Corso. Due Monday,

Tool box/starter circuit installed on the frame.
Tool box/starter circuit installed on the frame.
IMG_0981.JPG (122.41 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Can you see the starter button on the tool box ? The button is protected by a shield.   In my wiring the starter is always "live".
Can you see the starter button on the tool box ? The button is protected by a shield. In my wiring the starter is always "live".
IMG_0982.JPG (85.69 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
The wiring on top is not organized yet. I have a ball-mount/ powerlet outlet on the handlebars for GPS. I run the wiring straight back to the battery since the powerlet has its own inline fuse. I had to add a 1/4" rubber pad on the bottom of the battery cavity in the bag since the starter protrudes about 1/4 " in the cavity.

Top view of the oil bag with the battery installed in it.  Holds a full size soft tail battery.
Top view of the oil bag with the battery installed in it. Holds a full size soft tail battery.
IMG_0983.JPG (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I would personally prefer the starter switch on the left side so I could work the throttle when starting, although the tool box affords a nice junction box...
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Panacea wrote:I would personally prefer the starter switch on the left side so I could work the throttle when starting, although the tool box affords a nice junction box...
Some people installed the solenoid starter switch on the handlebars and ran the wiring to the starter. Probably the 'ideal' setup. Because of the activation current of the solenoid (~35amps), you would need at least a 12 gauge wire, best to use a 10 gauge, for that distance. Is there enough room inside the bars ?

My idea came from a picture shared by Russ on one installation. That installation had a key starter on the tool box. As you can see, the tool box has plenty of room for a relay if one wanted to go that route.

I also looked at a switch that mounted at the end of the starter's solenoid, I guess that is a common mod for older Sportsters ?

But the starter is buried so far underneath the bag that accessing it would be an issue.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I like the idea of running a light gauge wire from the handle bar mounted switch to the relay in the tool box, I wonder if the horn wires could be borrowed for this purpose?
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Panacea wrote:I like the idea of running a light gauge wire from the handle bar mounted switch to the relay in the tool box, I wonder if the horn wires could be borrowed for this purpose?

I bet it would work if you used a relay in the circuit. Probably not large enough to wire directly to the solenoid.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Just wanted to share with the forum my successful RSES installation on my panhead! In 40 degree F cold conditions, fresh 60 wt oil, One second of priming, two seconds of cranking, the bike started like it was 80 degrees outside !!! Plus the bike has NOT been started since early October!

No major issues clearing the exhaust. There is about the same room between the down pipe and the RSES unit.

The RSES custom tank holds about 3 1/2 qt of oil.

Cranking noise is no worse than my '97 Road King or my older BMW motorcycles. With the 'always engaged' drive system there is no 'clunk' when starting.

I look forward to the next sunny day when I can take it out for a shake-down test, to look for any issues. Right now there is 6 inches of snow plus another couple of inches due overnight. Might be awhile !

As noted by the RSES web site, I did NOT have to cut/grind/modify any original components on my panhead. The unit bolted right up to my 4 speed transmission using my existing hardware and the supplied hardware with the kit.

The included DVD is really helpful with the operation and tear-down of the unit for installation.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have and I will try my best to answer them.

image.jpg
image.jpg (203.13 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (201.4 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Return to “Articles”