Panhead Cam Cover

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
jamesn
Bikes: 55 Panhead - 70's style chopper

Panhead Cam Cover

Post by jamesn »

Hi Guys, hope somebody's able to help me.

I've a stock 4 finned 64 Panhead Cam Cover with top centre oiler hole and wanting to install it on my new S&S 65 short block. It fits perfectly, all bushings such as pinion & cam are exactly the same.

However, the 65 S&S short block flat finish cam cover that came with it has no pinion gear bush oil feed (hole), on this cover it has been welded up, the pinion bush also has no oil feed hole for the pinion gear shaft.

Is there any reason why they would have welded up the oil feed hole to the pinion gear shaft, or is this oil feed hole no longer required on 65 panhead engines. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why do away with the pinion shafts bushing oil passage?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Panhead Cam Cover

Post by 58flh »

The S&S motor has a different style or-(updated),as they advertise it!,therefore oil passages in your 4-fin are not needed!--Don't ruin a oem cover for the 4-finn look.S&S has 4-fin covers if you really want one on it.---RICHIE--& 1965 panhead motors do use the passages in the cover for pinion oiling to motor.
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

Thanks 58flh but S&S don't do a 4 finned cover with a top oiler hole
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

Looking at the end of pinion shaft it looks like it may have it's own internal oiler and may be the reason the 65 cam covers pinion bush has no oiler hole and the covers hole has been welded shut, as it's not required. Therefore, to keep my cam cover original what could I use to block the covers pinion oil passage with, i.e. glue, that could be drilled out at a later date if ever required.

My lifter blocks oil hole has been blocked with what looks like an araldite, for the solid lifters being used. This could be easily drilled out if ever wanting to return to hydraulic lifters.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

When you look into the bushing, is there an oil passage drilled in the center?
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

On the 65 pan cover that came with the block the oil passages are identical to my 64 cam cover. However, the only difference is that the bush for the pinion shaft has no oil hole at all. Plus the exit hole from the covers pinion oil passage has been welded shut. I can only assume that the pinion shaft has it's own oiler system and the pinion no longer requires oil from the oil passage in the cover.
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

This may be better to explain - some pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The "full flow" oiling was a '73 update. Previously all were set up like your '64 cover with momentary oiling. A stock '65 cover would be the same as your '64. If you run that '65 "style" cover be sure you have the associated parts. The correct full flow pinion shaft and '73 and later type oil pump.
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

The 65 cover is what I'm wanting to remove and replace it with my original 64 cover. So the engine is set up for the 65 cover as shown in picture with no oil hole for pinion bush. Is fitted with a high pressure oil pump.

What I'm mostly concerned about is, if using my original 64 cover will I need to also block the oil hole in the pinion bush and the exit hole in the cast as they have done with the 65 cover?

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”