Charging issues

skuirtgun
Bikes: 1949 FL
1966 FL

Charging issues

Post by skuirtgun »

Hello everyone.

I have a 1949 FL and it has a charging issue. The entire system is 6V with a 32E 3 brush generator and Delco Remy relay. I replaced the armature and coils in the generator as the previous armature was toasted. The brushes are still good. I have a spare relay just to make sure the relay is not the problem.

When I started the bike,
- the GEN idiot light goes off but the generator is not charging the battery.
- The bike dies when I switched on the light.
- Also when I checked with a multimeter across the battery poles, it only reads 6V.
- I've adjusted the third brush to various position, still nothing.

I have alsoI'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out whats wrong. Any help is very much appreciated.

Faizal
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Charging issues

Post by 58flh »

IF you have 6-volts at the Battery your good!--Its a 6-volt syatem!--What do you get when you put the voltmeter on the battery & rev her-up to 2000 or 25000.You should be getting at the min.7.2-volts!,,Put the headlight on & see what it reads at 2K+-RPM.If its not close to 8 or 8.6 Theres def. a problem!----Start at the keyswitch--Make sure all connections are tight & not frayed!--Give them a tug to make-sure the soldering & crimped connections are not coming apart.-Those are a few quick things to easily chekoit!---Use the K-BASE ,it has all the problems/symptoms that your getting!--Respecfully---RICHIE
skuirtgun
1966 FL

Post by skuirtgun »

The voltmeter doesnt move when I rev her up. Stays at 6V. The motor died when I put the headlight on. If I rev it high and put the lights on, the voltmeter still stays at 6V. Yes, definitely a problem. I'll have a look at the keyswitch and see how it goes. Thank you Richie.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

You have to polarize the system. Anytime you've had the battery disconnected for a period of time or you've disconnected the Gen. wiring, when you reconnect you need to re-polarize the system. Take a wire & momentarily touch it to your armature post & positive battery post, this will flash & polarize the system & your light should go out if the Gen. is working. Forgetting to polarize will cause the system to not charge & you'll just run off the battery until you drain it & your bike starts to misfire & finally die. Panheads require a fully charged battery to run. Also 6 volts at the battery is not enough, a fully charged 6 volt battery will read above 6 volts. You also need to load test it. A battery will often read as fully charged static but will not handle a load. Make sure you have a fully charged & good battery, polarize the system & see if it works.
skuirtgun
1966 FL

Post by skuirtgun »

Yes I dis polarize the system. The GEN light goes out but no power to the battery. This is what boggles me.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

don't forget that the OEM mechanical relays have TWO sets of points. If the generator is producing electricity it energizes the relay and 2 separate things happen: it opens the set of points that provides the ground for the idiot light (light goes out) and it closes the points which allow juice to flow to the battery. So, clean both sets of points and see what happens.
good luck!
mike
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

There is no polarizing of a 3 brush that I know of, you need to check your brushes, and go down the line, start with the battery, that IS the voltage regulator on a 3 brush. I would check your wiring in the gen and go from there, you need to set the 3rd brush with an amp meter when all else is functioning , don't give up, they work great when all is correct , adam
skuirtgun
1966 FL

Post by skuirtgun »

Manage to sort out the problem. The culprit was the brand new re-pop coils. I clean and installed the old coils and it is charging strong now.
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

The coils are sometimes not wound properly, always need to check they are with aftermarket ones, did you check the air gap between the armature and coils?
skuirtgun
1966 FL

Post by skuirtgun »

I didnt check the air gap. Maybe that could be the issue. Any tips to make the coils compress to make the air gap bigger?
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

If your reusing originals, it might be ok, I checked mine with long feeler gauges , if you look in the book, it says to wrap the armature with paper. There's a tool you can make as well to check the gap. I think Bruce gives the dimensions in his book, hope that helps
Adam

Return to “Generator”