removal of pimion shaft

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
dchfle54
Bikes: 1954 FLE

removal of pimion shaft

Post by dchfle54 »

I have a 54 FLE and i have to replace my connecting rods, and the pinion shaft. What is the best method for removing the sprocket shaft and the pinion shaft from the wheels.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: removal of pimion shaft

Post by Cotten »

The best, dchfle54?

The most practical that I found was a sturdy bench with a hole in it.
With a catch bucket beneath, the shaft is set through the hole and the wheel flat.
I would then lay a brass puck with a proud center so that it positioned itself upon the shaft.

Then I would give it a smart rap with an "engineering" hammer.

Putting it into a press was needless torture, as shock better releases the taper.
A press fixture where you could rap the screw would be nice... if you have space for something so dedicated.

Have you split the wheels?

....Cotten
dchfle54
Bikes: 1954 FLE

Post by dchfle54 »

dchfle54 wrote:I have a 54 FLE and i have to replace my connecting rods, and the pinion shaft. What is the best method for removing the sprocket shaft and the pinion shaft from the wheels.
I haven't split the wheels yet, thats where my question is for, how to get the shafts unscrewed from the wheels, without scaring the surfaces of the shafts.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The shafts are NOT screwed into the flywheels. All are held on by nuts holding the tapered shafts into a matching taper on the flywheels where they are held in place by friction and located by keyways with woodruff keys locating them. No need to damage any surfaces installing or removing them.
Go to the knowledge base,
Look at the service manuals,
Follow the instructions,
Do not hurt your parts ....
app.php/knowledgebase/category?id=16
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

dchfle54!

After you have studied the Service Manual and Parts catalog thoroughly,
I would suggest a couple of alternatives.

After the nut locks and screws are removed, an impact wrench is fine for dis-assembly, but never for assembly.
In the absence of one, (and for final re-assembly), holding the wheels firmly is easy in a common press, as shown at http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel6.htm.

The Service Manual prescribes brutally bashing the perimeter of the flywheels to split them from the crank pin. Many, many wheels show damage from this.
A far gentler means of shocking the wheels from the crankpin is to use two large chisels as wedges, as shown.
WHELSPLT.jpg
With the nuts removed of course, the chisels are struck alternately until one taper springs loose. The pin is then removed from the other taper as I described previously.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

I just use two large brass hammers. I put the flywheels on a rubber mat I have on the floor put my foot on top of the flywheel with one hammer held against the shaft I rap it with the other hammer and they pop apart.
Rich
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Rich!

That's still far better than the Service Manual method!

....Cotten
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Cotton, many thanks, your picture with the chisels was just what I needed. My 2 chisels were slightly small so I shimmed with aluminum shims to get tension and a good rap with a brass drift on the pin popped 'em. The service manual method did nothing, they wouldn't budge.

Thanks to this site for confirming "What ought to work" with real "I do it this way" from people who have done it successfully!

Andygears

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”