Looking for feedback on this VIN and repair

VIN Identification
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Looking for feedback on this VIN and repair

Post by caschnd1 »

Oh. I just saw the S&S parts in the photos you linked and thought you were referring to those. Value is hard to say. Depends a lot on how much is original and how much is not. The messed up case definitely is a big negative. But that could be made right depending on the laws of your state. No matter what, it's going to be a lot of work just to fix that one issue.

-Craig
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

rms337 wrote: Thoughts on value with all these issues?
What's the seller looking to get?
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

After seeing what they did to repair caschnd1 motor,yours looks to be alot easier.And if you have the title they can copy new numbers on it.
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

Hog54 wrote:After seeing what they did to repair caschnd1 motor,yours looks to be alot easier.And if you have the title they can copy new numbers on it.
Caschnd1 knew that his number was original and was never a restamp.

The history of the machine for sale is questionable, that number might have some history?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

pick up a '48 panhead engine with a valid VIN, retitle it
Re-title what? If it has no title you have 2 problems. If it has a title you don't need to do anything.

It becomes a felony if you restamp for the purpose of furthering a theft
It's already a theft - you don't have a title.

There are 2 and only 2 agencies that are legally permitted to stamp, re-stamp, copy the stamp, un-stamp etc. an engine case:
1. Harley-Davidson Motor Company (not the dealer, not a shop, not an employee)
2. Your State DMV

The bad case cannot be re-stamped because you have no proof that you own it. The title identifies an engine that:
1. Is not the one for sale, and
2. May no longer exist, or
3. May belong to someone else, or
4. The number may be fictitious. Being within the range of known VINs for that year and model is definitely not a guarantee that this specific number ever existed.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

kitabel wrote:
There are 2 and only 2 agencies that are legally permitted to stamp, re-stamp, copy the stamp, un-stamp etc. an engine case:
1. Harley-Davidson Motor Company (not the dealer, not a shop, not an employee)
2. Your State DMV
This is absolutely false. Federal Tile 18, Section 511 explicitly gives permission for owners or repair facilities to obliterate the VIN if it is resonably necessary to facilitate repair of the vehicle. Federal Title 18, Section 511 also gives jurisdiction over restoration (restamping) of VIN numbers to the individual states. You need to consult your state laws to determine what is legal/illegal. If you live in Arizona, an owner or repair facility can restore (restamp) the VIN as long as it's not being done to further the theft of a vehicle.

It's popularly reported that such things are a felony on many forums. But if you do your research you'll find you are allowed a lot if you are making legitimate repairs and not trying to steal a vehicle or cover up it's theft.

-Craig
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

C'mon Craig!

If it varies by State, then it is hardly absolutely false, huh.

There was a time when Illinois would allow a repair such as yours, under the auspices of the authorities.
But those civil servants are long gone, and Illinois ain't what she used to be either.

....Cotten
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Your right Cotton. Absolute statements cannot be applied to this situation. But it is constantly reported here and on other forums as being a felony to restamp numbers. It is something that needs to be looked at on a state by state basis.

-Craig
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Yes, it varies on a state by state basis.
Sometimes you just lose the bike, sometimes you go to jail.

Just for fun: take your bike to the police station, and tell them "I stamped those numbers on myself".
Bring your toothbrush.

Can't fix stupid...
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

You could get that case repaired, re-stamp the numbers provided a good job is done, it would be undetectable. Problem with that is your panties would be in a pucker every time you got near the end of the driveway. Call your county DMV theft division and pose the same question. Good numbers? Good title, traceable? Can I fix the original case and have it restamped? Should be obvious to a cop or anyone else that a hack did that dirty deed. May or may not be doable. You never stated any thing about the title? Is it in the current owners name? If not, run away.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

yup,

no title no deal.

no matter how pretty the machine.

let the "owner" sort it out.

john
rms337
Bikes: 1949 panhead

Post by rms337 »

I thought I mentioned early on that there is a title. Titled in the current owners name in '99 in PA.
rms337
Bikes: 1949 panhead

Post by rms337 »

All I was trying to do was to figure out how to turn this bike into something nice and period correct. It has a current title, but because of the concern behind the obvious restamp, poor repair and many other visible cracks, I was wanting to know how to make this bike right, if possible. I realize the current engine has issues and I am willing to replace it with an engine that has a valid, unquestionable VIN, along with title, if that is possible. Along with other obvious items that need to be addressed, I would then have a period correct bike, the correct engine for the bike, although not original, and not be worried about it being questioned at every stop.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

A repair would likely remove your vin pad. The area would have to reworked, re stamped. Do some foot work and see if the local theft guys will approve it.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I dont know why you guys are so worried about the authorities.If he sends it to the same people that did caschnd1s motor,nobody will ever know.Plus he has a title,so theres no worry about anything. :roll:

Return to “VIN”