Fork Cup Tool

Information on forks/springers/shocks
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Fork Cup Tool

Post by VintageTwin »

The height difference between the '49-59 race (left) and the '60-up race (right).
We need something to remove the bottom cup and I need to make it Fred Flintstone style. Here are six washers that measure 1-1/4" dia. The O.D. of the cup stem is 1.330". The O.D. of the washer stack is 1.245". There is 0.085" clearance for the washer to flop into position (once both sides of the stack are ground-off enough, so that the stack will fit through the cup stem opening). I'm going to clean the metal on both sides of each washer. Clamp them together and braze them and make a laminate. Then, grind off both sides. Then stick it up through the bottom cup and into the headstock. Flip it around into postion with a screwdriver and use it as a slug to pound against with a 7/8' dia. blunt-nose drift from through the hole in the top cup. Three things can foil my plan: 1. The stack shifts while being brazed or brazing doesn't penetrate the washer layers. 2.The O.D. of the washer is to large to allow the slug to flop, once inserted into the headstock of the frame. 3. Bashing de-laminates the brazened-stack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Fork Cup Tool

Post by RooDog »

Easy way to remove only the race without disturbing the cup try this as pictured. A MIG, TIG, or stick welder, as the weld cools it will shrink the race enough for said race to literally fall out. This will not harm chromed cups either....
....RooDog....
DSC01901.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RooDog on Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Haven't seen anything from "the Plumber" for years....I wonder if he is still kicking'.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

still around :idea:
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

VintageTwin wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:22 am The height difference between the '49-59 race (left) and the '60-up race (right).
We need something to remove the bottom cup and I need to make it Fred Flintstone style. Here are six washers that measure 1-1/4" dia. The O.D. of the cup stem is 1.330". The O.D. of the washer stack is 1.245". There is 0.085" clearance for the washer to flop into position (once both sides of the stack are ground-off enough, so that the stack will fit through the cup stem opening). I'm going to clean the metal on both sides of each washer. Clamp them together and braze them and make a laminate. Then, grind off both sides. Then stick it up through the bottom cup and into the headstock. Flip it around into postion with a screwdriver and use it as a slug to pound against with a 7/8' dia. blunt-nose drift from through the hole in the top cup. Three things can foil my plan: 1. The stack shifts while being brazed or brazing doesn't penetrate the washer layers. 2.The O.D. of the washer is to large to allow the slug to flop, once inserted into the headstock of the frame. 3. Bashing de-laminates the brazened-stack.
So, how did this work out for you?
If you would grind some metal off of opposite sides to make a double -D shape I could drop through the center, stem, hole and still have enough purchase inside to drive against....
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yep that will work. The key factor I didn't know when I posted this is that the cups can be tapped-out of the steering head EASILY, if the steering head is supported underneath by a sawhorse. This method insures that more of your driving force is focused on the cup and not lost on the steering head not being supported. Big difference.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”