Cam Duration

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Cam Duration

Post by Cotten »

Ingram!

I understand how different a different radius locates it differently upon the lobe relative to the centerline.

And that's important if you are going to index the gear, or grind one no doubt!

But Folks!
To merely indentify a cam, measuring its lift is most of it, and it is just as accurate with a common indicator attachment.
Even with "far off" duration numbers, it is just a matter of picking out of the catalog which one is close.
Worked for me for decades.

But now I am almost ready to learn how to really "degree" a cam, so I can learn what I did wrong by installing stock gears by the marks upon aftermarket billets with different base circles, even though they worked great.

My degree wheel .jpg is too fuzzy.

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Cam Duration

Post by 58flh »

Pressing gears on aftermarket bumpsticks is a must!--(if you want to make your life easy!)---The degreeing of the cam can always be done now that your gearcase dont sound like a Whiner--going down the road!---ALSO there are those that dont pess on or off!---These shafts should def. be checked!--Not because there Wrong, but so that YOU yourself know what your dealing with. Guys mostly you will find that installation of a cam going by the manual line to line will work & RUN just fine!----But it is nice to know EXACTLY how that Grind you are running is ---when compared to the manufacturers mark!--(is it RET. or ADV.) & by How much?---Some guys need to know!--I was taught to always check an aftermarket cam!--It was part of doing the CAM-CHANGE!---Dont know how true it is ,but I have heard that if you want your cam degreed its a EXTRA-CHARGE!----Times change ---- respectfully----RICHIE

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”