kick stand

papaspan
Bikes: 03 ultra
58 pan
07deluxe

kick stand

Post by papaspan »

I just rebuilt my 58 and put FLST forks on it. She leans over too far. A buddy of mine says the new forks are taller. Does anyone know if a FLST stand will bolt to my stock mounting. The only extended pan stand I can find is 1" over and I don't think that will do me any good. I have a 2x4 under it now and it still cops a lean. Do you guys think it's possible the mounting bracket is bent? Also, when you measure a kick stand do you measure between the bends or from stem to stern including the foot?
Thanks, papa
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: kick stand

Post by 1950Panhead »

The original stand is 11" long, bracket is vertical when bike is vertical.
If you have extended forks increase the stand bend (in a vise) and weld a washer on the bottom.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Make sure you have a mounting bracket for a swing arm frame and not for a rigid. The angle built into them differs, with the rigid type being flatter, causing the leg to be too horizontal on a swing arm frame.
You can also shim behind the mounting bracket on the top two holes and make it a steeper angle.
Robbie
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

"You can also shim behind the mounting bracket on the top two holes and make it a steeper angle."

This is exactly what I did, I used the thick head bolt washers and it works just fine.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I have an assortment of (aftermarket) kick stand arms of various lengths. If you give me an idea of what length you're looking for, I'll see what I've got.
But please be patient, it's likely I won't be back online until this weekend. Send me a PM if interested.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

You can put a stock kick stand in a press and bend ever so slightly and alter the lean on a bike. I have done this and no one even notices the alteration.
John
papaspan
Bikes: 03 ultra
58 pan
07deluxe

Post by papaspan »

Thanks,
I'll try shimming first, then bending, if neither works (as Arnold says) I'll be back! Thanks Bigincher if these don't work I'll be in touch to get more info from you.
papa
mnstang
Bikes: 2003 Harley Hugger 883 (wife's bike), 1953 FL Panhead and 2008 Anniversary Road King

Post by mnstang »

I have the same leaning problem on my 53 Pan but I have 6 or 8 over tubes that came on the bike, but I can put (2) 2 x 4s under the stand and it still isn't standing upright. I will try the combination of bending and shimming. The lean creates a problem for the gas wanting to push out the left side gas cap, I tried to find aftermarket but not an easy task. Nice to have some place like this to at least get ideas on possible fixes.
Cheers
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

mnstang wrote:I have the same leaning problem on my 53 Pan but I have 6 or 8 over tubes that came on the bike, but I can put (2) 2 x 4s under the stand and it still isn't standing upright. I will try the combination of bending and shimming. The lean creates a problem for the gas wanting to push out the left side gas cap, I tried to find aftermarket but not an easy task. Nice to have some place like this to at least get ideas on possible fixes.
Cheers
If you're going to keep the long front end, a possible solution would be to use an aftermarket longer kickstand. I have an assortment of over-length kickstands, and would let one go if it helps your problem.
If you can have a friend help you, and determine how long the kickstand should be, let me know and I'll see what I have.
mnstang
Bikes: 2003 Harley Hugger 883 (wife's bike), 1953 FL Panhead and 2008 Anniversary Road King

Post by mnstang »

that would be great, I believe I can use some hose clamps and clamp on a piece of rebar to simulate length and get a pretty good idea. I will get back to you with approximate length.

Thanks
mnstang

Post by mnstang »

It looks like 16 to 18 inches long would work, I will have to bend it a little because it would hit the primary case if same bend as stock angle so probably the 16". I tried to load pic but it was to big and would not load. Let me know if you think you have something that would work.
thanks
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I've got an 18-inch and also a 16-inch. Spring attachment is like stock tab on the 18", looks like a nubbin on the 16", I don't see why it won't work.
Take a look, and see if you think either one of those will work for you. If so, send me a PM and we'll finalize the deal.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

A good kickstand is hard to bend. If you end up needing to bend your kickstand to fine tune it, it's best to cold bend it. The kickstand arms are heat treated to render them tough and slightly springy. When you put a torch to it in order to heat and bend, you lose the toughness and springy-ness. A hydraulic press works very good.

Geo.
mnstang

Post by mnstang »

Bigincher,
sorry was out of town and no access to internet other then phone and don't really care to use the little type on phone screen. I am interested in one of your kickstands, probably the 18" would work best. I do have a hydraulic press if I need to tweek it a bit. Did send PM, I thought but not sure if it went through, but did not hear a response. If you still have the stands, let me know. Also having problem with gas leaking out left cap with bike at lean so kick stand would really help.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Well, I almost gave up on you. I sent a reply PM, never heard back. What's the best way to communicate? Email? Send me another PM with the best way to exchange info.
I bought the long kickstands a long time ago, thinking I would put one on my long-ass-front-end chopper. But I never did, the chopper leans, but not too bad, so I guess it's okay the way it is.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”