Bad VIN #

VIN Identification
Canuck
Bikes: FL

Bad VIN #

Post by Canuck »

Sorry about bringing this up again but is there anything I can do legally about bad VIN numbers on my Panhead? The VIN # is 47FL56XX, no belly numbers but the registration card matches the VIN. Previous owner said the guy who owned it before him had it for 40+ years and it was re-stamped by authorized HD dealer. Even if the original VIN # could be restored but has not been reported stolen I don't see how I would lose it. Not sure what the law is in South Carolina. Hate to have it checked out by the law and lose it.

Thanks, Canuck
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Bad VIN #

Post by kitabel »

Re-stamped is not legal no matter who does it.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Restamping with different numbers is not legal. Restamping with the same numbers is legal, for the purposes of restoring after repair, in some states. I researched both federal and state (Arizona) laws recently. They clearly make provisions for restamping after repair.

In the case of the original poster, I don't know any way you can legally restamp with different numbers.
-Craig
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Restamping is not LEGAL unless AUTHORIZED by a SHOP that has PERMISION FROM DMV to do so!---By any chance if this bike has been registered in the past --there may be a RECON-Title or a METAL PLATE that was riveted to the bike about 2x4-inches!-(it has the state & NEW # for TITLE & Registration!--SEE my post awhile back!---I had lost my 1958flh title in a fire!,7 I had to take pic. of VIN#,& 6 more of the BIKE!--Mail them to DMV for inspection & they sent me a 1993 reconstructed title!--It had both ENG.#s on it & a new # also!--(you will have to drop your skidplate & give pics. of belly #s!--Hope this HELPS!--Also I recently foundout that I can get my orig. 1958FLH#s back on a TITLE!-(it wont say 1993-recon on it).----RICHIE! 8)
Canuck
Bikes: FL

Post by Canuck »

Thanks for the reply. Wish I knew the original VIN # without destroying the exciting numbers. I have seen many old VIN numbers that have been re-stamped but why would anyone use year 47 for a panhead? I want to believe that they re-stamped using the numbers they had to match the ownership card of a junked KH but I hate to know someone lost their bike. The weather here in SC looks good for today so I guess I'll do what I have done for the last 43 years, go for a ride, but I'm taken the Pan.

Thanks, Canuck
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

58flh wrote:Restamping is not LEGAL unless AUTHORIZED by a SHOP that has PERMISION FROM DMV to do so!...
This part of the law varies depending on what state you are in. In Arizona, the owner or repair shop is allowed to restamp the numbers. No permission is required by the DMV. I had to research all this with the DMV in Arizona for the repair of my cracked motor case.

-Craig
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

Canuck wrote: but why would anyone use year 47 for a panhead?
Because that's what title they had!

Got a picture of the vin?
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

maybe the original owner blew up the bottom end ,and found a knucklehead motor with title..installed the top end of his panhead on the knuck bottom end.....just a thought.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Except for the drains hanging out over the left case
Except for no oil to the rockers
Except for coil bind
Except for the deck height
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

kitabel wrote:Except for the drains hanging out over the left case
Except for no oil to the rockers
Except for coil bind
Except for the deck height
I have a panhead top end (cylinders and heads) installed on a set of '41 knuck cases. This is the way I bought it 39 years ago. It has never had any of the issues you mention.
The cylinders were drilled and tapped down low to accept fittings for a custom made 'T' oil feed line.
Drains do not "hang out over the left case".
There is no "coil bind", panhead cam and lifter blacks are used.
I don't know about 'deck height', but panhead flyweels, rods, and pistons are also used.
This motor runs great.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I have seen a few 47 panheads in my lifetime.:)

Return to “VIN”