Question for the VIN Experts

VIN Identification
mickthedick
Bikes: 64 PAN

Question for the VIN Experts

Post by mickthedick »

Hey fellas, Mick here from KS...been learnin a lot on here while puttin together my '64 pan. Anyway I got a question for the VIN experts. Has anyone ever heard of an FLG? I know me neither... but im curious cuz belly numbers on the cases match and the VIN pad looks untouched and numbers look like theyve always been there. Not a big deal to me but ive been wondring and thought i mite learn sumthin new. Thanks in advance guys... motor/tranny came out of a cop bike if that mite make a diffrence. Hope this pic works/helps.

-Mick

woops!! accidently posted this in Projects dammit!
Attachments
VIN.JPG
VIN.JPG (119.85 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Question for the VIN Experts

Post by RUBONE »

Several issues there. Besides that designation never being used, the font type is not one used in the '60s and the numbers do not appear to follow the Odd/Even rule applied in the '60s. So whoever applied them may have been a metal artist that made the pad look original before using a made up number, or those were factory replacement cases stamped with a made up number.
But they did not come from H-D like that!

Some examples here

https://hydra-glide.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=4
mickthedick

Post by mickthedick »

Rubone,

Thanks for your reply man! i was thinkin they were probly factory replacements myself. ive heard that cop bikes would get factory replacements often in the old days and sometimes if the guy doing the stamping maybe was missing a punch, hed just use the next closest thing... its kind of a bitch when ya get these kinda things cuz a guy mite like to know the story where it came from ya know. Knew about the odd/even numbers deal too, but thought id throw it out there anyway just in case. Anyway i guess since im in the projects section ill post a few pics of the ol girl...shes a mish-mash of old parts but im just gettin started...Thanks again for the info!!
Attachments
dusty2.JPG
dusty2.JPG (195.51 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
dusty3.JPG
dusty3.JPG (227.37 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
dusty1.JPG
dusty1.JPG (233.91 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I like it! But it looks like it has a '54 left tank and a '55-'56 right. The right side emblem looks low on the tank.
Robbie
mickthedick

Post by mickthedick »

Rubone,

Oh hell!!! Youre right!!! thats too funny man these are the first pics of the bike ive taken since i started putting it together... never noticed til i compared the pics...wow thats bad! Guess thats what i get for buyin the "new & improved" v-twin replica tanks :oops:BUSTED ... hey at least the badges are OEM dammit! thats funny, oh well the plan was to replace em later anyway... like i said tho i just started this here project in June. Just got all the bugs worked out a couple months ago(thanks to a lot of extra info on this site)after the tear down and rebuild process. bikes runnin like a top now but havent quite collected all the rite parts yet. had 5 gal shovel tanks on it when i picked it up didnt look rite to me so i opted for the cheapo fix til i could find me a set that didnt cost an arm/leg...

-Mick
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Pretty! (and I mean that in a good way!)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

MTD!----Nice Machine you have there!---Richie 8)

Return to “VIN”