exhaust pipe temperatures

General topics, not related to any other category
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

exhaust pipe temperatures

Post by panfreak »

I need some info from someone with a digital thermometer who has measured the temperature of their pipes at front head and rear. I had a problem with a particular header paint that said it was good to 900 F yet peeled off before I even got it up to running temp. I'm curious just how hot those pipes get, I will try to find a good paint that'll beat that. VHT Flameproof says good to 2000 F which should be more than plenty but now I'm curious and am pretty sure several of you will know what kinda heat range I can expect from the old girl after a good beating. Thanks.
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: exhaust pipe temperatures

Post by neilw »

No idea of the temperature ,but an old timer ride I bought my first bike from in 69 or so told me to run the carb real rich to carbon up the pipes so the didn't turn blue.. Of caorse that was when stuff wasn't made in China .
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Re: exhaust pipe temperatures

Post by doc9339 »

There is no paint or primer or epoxy that will last on pipes, to include VHT. Get with a local or mail order powder coating company and get CERAMIC coating, HUGE pick or colors: It will last, and DRASTICALLY reduces surface temperature

Return to “General topics”