Rear Steer Wobble

drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Rear Steer Wobble

Post by drinner-okc »

I've been working on a friends 1965 ElectraGlide for months. No Expenses Spared! He's taken it out & ridden it now & it's scared him to death. He bought the bike last year after an E-bay auction, we went after it & rode it for a few days in the Florida Keys, other than sticky brakes from sitting no real issues.
But they had worked to disguise some cosmetic issues and he decided to improve them.
Here's what we fixed mechanically that might affect handling:
1) Powdercoated the Swing Arm, new races, bearings & seals in the pivot, adjusted with a fishing scale to 4# spring pull more than weight of arm.
2) All New Shock Rubber Bushings, Top & Bottom. The Shocks seemed to have resistance pushing in & returning to length.
3) New Coker 500x16 Tire, the one with the wide center bars, not the Goodyear tread.
4) NOS -63 Brake Linings
5) Seat Post Bushings & Seat Tee Bushing.
I've only ridden with him 20-30 miles an at low speeds.
He reports at Interstate speeds it has a rear steer issue, not a Handlebar Shake. It seems to 'cross-up' & he has to counter steer to go straight, then it changes sides.
I checked last night, the bearings feel good in the Star Hub, it has just enough side clearance to tell it moves, The axle adjusters are within a thread, and the chain runs from the Drum to the Trans Sprocket in a straight line with no noise.
The chain runs in the center of the sprocket.
(Now this is all up on the Lift, under No Load)
I've looked the frame all over & see no breaks, It did not wobble or twist in the Keys.
Has anyone chased a chassis issue like this?
drinner
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Rear Steer Wobble

Post by kitabel »

Check the frame - the upright just ahead of the swingarm attachment on the left side is prone to cracking.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Check
1) Triple tree nut is very tight
2) Rear tire is alligned in center of rear fender
3) With rear tire off ground push hard both ways looking for movement.
4) Try a rear tire and wheel from another pan.
Jerry
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

All great advice above. I'll add: check spokes in both wheels. If loose enough, they'll cause that back and forth sway that's just not a fun dance...

-Kuda (but my money's on the steering head bearings being out of adjustment)
'49 panchop
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

I agree, the steering head bearings are probable too tight.
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

Do not overlook the bushings in the fork tubes.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

My scenario is different than you describe but I’ll throw it out here. I run an Avon safety mileage on the back, a modern tire on the front. Rode out west this summer, concrete roads with the grooves cut in them are a bitch. The back of the bike felt like it was on ice, producing considerable wobble. I friend and I both ran the shoulder of the road. Thank goodness we have no such surface treatment here.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Does this machine have a steering damper?
VPH-D
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

ALL GOOD POINTERS!---I would like to also add on the steering neck adj. & Put the rear of the bike up off the ground & try to move that whole assembly side to side!--& dont be afraid of hurting anything-REALLY GORILLA that swingarm & see what happens!---IF good you have other options to check like Broken weld or Rusted thru weldjoint that KIT has already mentioned & that STEERING BERING ADJ.---GOOD-LUCK---RICHIE :!:
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

Here is what we've done since the last post. First was jack the bike off the floor and try the 'fall away' test. With the wheel off the floor, straighten the handlebars, bump the end of a grip to start the forks turning, it should turn all the way to the stop without stopping. Tried both ways numerous times with all success.
Next we put it (back) on the lift and got it as straight as possible, ran a stringline down all 4 sidewalls. Had to adjust the right side axle adjuster one full turn & one more flat until it touched all 4 sidewalls. Rotated the rear tire & tried several different places. There is virtually no run out when tire is turned.
We both test rode the bike about 8 miles, grooved concrete & Asphalt pavement. When I got on, I felt way too far forward, it had a solo seat and the bolt was in the front hole on the Tee. When we got back to his shop, we installed his Buddy Seat,
I adjusted the Heel-Toe shifter and put just a little more free-play on the brake pedal, since with the solo it felt like you were trying to press the pedal down instead of forward. The owner went on about a 10 mile ride, and came back all smiles.
I still think we need to tilt the windshield back just a tad and we need to adjust the height with the seat change.

We went on a dinner run tonight, on the way home my generator light came on to say Hi :(

Return to “Troubleshooting”