Bikes: 02 FLHT
64 FL
84 FLTC
02 Dyna
57 Triumph Trophy 650 pre-unit
71 650 Bonneville

This damn lock ring!!!!

Post by Rusty »

Update on my recent purchase of a 51 pan chopper. New cycle electric generator/alternator, cotton float, fine tuned the linkert, runs just beautifully. 3" belt was in BAD shape, broke on me the other day. Ordered new BDL 1 1/2" 8mm replacement setup. Took off the old belt drive gear and am trying to replace the colony seal on the engine drive shaft before the new gear arrives. I CAN NOT get that F'n #^^&% dt spring out. I have looked all over this site and read everything I could find. Tried dental pick, tried grinding a "special" screwdriver blade. Tried everything I can think of. I am thinking the one in the bike is not a Colony as the new one from Colony has an indent on one end of the spring to ease the removal I assume. The one in there is square on both ends. The crankcase is vented, and I say this as it seems a cause for concern if not when having this discussion. The bike leaks from this area ALOT, especially when parked as you all have indicated is normal, except when a good seal is in place. I need to find a way to get that damn ring lock out????
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Re: This damn lock ring!!!!

Post by 1951 adam »

Its a little difficult, but I got mine out with a pick, changed it 6 years ago, no leaks. It may not have been installed corretly to begin with, that might be whats happining, good luck, and stay zen, Adam
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I had to split my case to get mine out.I think the guy that put mine together used a colony seal with a different or oem snap ring.Heres what mine looked like before I bought the right colony kit.The space between the ends is even smaller than the colony ring.

After I split the left side case off,I had to take the seal out from the inside.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

You can split the cases by pulling the cylinders up just enough to clear the studs, removing right case, leaving rest of engine assembled.
Jerry
Rusty
Bikes: 02 FLHT
64 FL
84 FLTC
02 Dyna
57 Triumph Trophy 650 pre-unit
71 650 Bonneville

Post by Rusty »

Holy Yikes, thats the same lock ring I am looking at. Okay, now I know what I am up against. Thanks for the picture that sealed it for me, no pun intended. :wink:
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

1950Panhead wrote:You can split the cases by pulling the cylinders up just enough to clear the studs, removing right case, leaving rest of engine assembled.
Jerry
Yeah,but what do you do with the cylinder base gaskets?Most of the time you wont get them off in one piece.
Twobigv
Bikes: 2010 Ultra
1950 FL Panhead
2010 Fatboy

Post by Twobigv »

Quick tip I used on my 50, use a very sharp center punch to make a punch mark in the ring (its a hardened ring so you may have to tap it a few times) sharpen a good scratch awl and apply down and out pressure and the ring will come out far enough to work out with a small screw driver.
Worked for me.
Twobig
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Reluctant to beat on a thrust assembly, Folks,

I removed a frosty one with my jeweler's torch by ruining the ring's temper.
Stick a rod to it and pull if you must.

The REAL trick is to get a Colony seal housing to fit in an oversized bore, and stay centered.

....Cotten

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”