need help - steering lock removal

old77
Bikes: 1955 hydra-glide
1977 fx

need help - steering lock removal

Post by old77 »

I'm working on my '55, now I have the frame off, ready to be powder coated, there is only one thing I can't figure out: how to remove the steering lock without destroying it. Since I have the key and it works fine, I don't want to change it with a new one, but I'm not sure if it can stay in place during the powder coating treatment.
I've been looking around in the forum and I found that it should be a pin that holds the lock in place, I've got the paint out where i thought there was the pin, but nothing, there is just a small punch.
I'm stuck with this thing, any suggestions?

here are 2 pics of my steering lock:
31072012011.jpg
31072012014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: need help - steering lock removal

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Keep looking, the pin is there. Take a look at this thread, it may help:
Steering Head Lock

mike
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Im sure you can tape that off so it dont get coated!--I have sent parts to my powder coat guy & taped-off what I didnt want touched!--Talk to the guy doing the coating!--He will tell you exactly how to do it properly.---Good-Luck---Richie 8)
old77
1977 fx

Post by old77 »

FlatHeadSix wrote:77,
Keep looking, the pin is there. Take a look at this thread, it may help:
Steering Head Lock

mike
thank you Mike, I will keep looking but I was wondering if the pin is an afermarket thing or it cames with the original lock? Because in that thread it says to drill the lock, and I don't want to do that.
58flh wrote:Im sure you can tape that off so it dont get coated!--I have sent parts to my powder coat guy & taped-off what I didnt want touched!--Talk to the guy doing the coating!--He will tell you exactly how to do it properly.---Good-Luck---Richie 8)
Thank you Richie too. I know it can be taped, but it would be better if it's all removed, because the frame will be sand-cleaned and then it goes into a oven at 200 °C. I will consider to leave it in place, anyway. I have a kind of same problem with the steering bearings races, they should be knocked out with a hammer and then replaced, but mine are good so it's a shame to waste them. but I'm wondering if they will get a damage in the sanding and painting process.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I posted the link to that thread becasue it had several good photos of the position of the pin hole. If the lock still works you should definitely not destroy it. In the first photo of your neck you can actually see the head of the pin, drilling them out is not easy but it is possible if you are careful and drill at the correct angle.

The other issue is also a big question, the powder coat process involves a lot of heat, the components of the lock may not tolerate that much heat. The lock housing and the lock core are both cast from pot metal and contain small springs and brass components as well. Check with the coater to see how hot things get when they bake the powder on.

good luck! Keep us posted.

mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Why not use paint instead of powder? The bike would look more original with a lot less hassle...
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Panacea wrote:Why not use paint instead of powder? The bike would look more original with a lot less hassle...
I agree,

If I would have it to do over, I would have invested in a compressor and paint guns when I done my WLA.

Powder coat chips, and is a pain in the a$$ to fix.

Paint it.

Just my take on it.

George
old77
1977 fx

Post by old77 »

Panacea wrote:Why not use paint instead of powder? The bike would look more original with a lot less hassle...
I'm not a fan of paint on frames, it's too weak, where there are clamps it cames off, I think powder coating is stronger and more durable. Of course it has to be done by a real professional, I found one here in Italy that makes a lot of Harley frames, he does a precision by-hand sand cleaning (others have industrial sand cleaners that will take too much iron off the frame), then he will cover all the threads, holes and parts that must be clean, and do a shine polished powder coating that looks almost like the original paint.

It's more expensive than others, he will take about 300-350$ to do the job, but it will be a nice job.

The frame will be worked in september, so I have time to work on the lock :D

I'm not on a hurry, I want to do a nice job on the bike, so I think it will be ready next year. I have the '77 fx to hang around.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I shall never powdercoat another frame, Folks.

And another personal note about necklocks: I omit the return spring!

....Cotten
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Dont ever take out the lock unless its not working.The powder coater can tape it off just fine and you can put duck tape on it if your sand blasting.
old77
1977 fx

Post by old77 »

So you think that is better to leave it there? Could be the way, I'll check with the painter if it could stay there with the hig temp.

Another question...is it normal that the lock moves in and out about 0.08-0.11 inches?

Thanks to all for your help!
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

old77,
Yes, that is normal movement for your lock if only the inner section is moving. The core of the lock, the part that the key slides into, should have a small amount of clearance within the outer sleeve. If the entire lock is moving then something is wrong.

mike
dk54fl
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by dk54fl »

reading the old post - any info - did the lock survive the heat process of powder coating?

Return to “Frame & Fittings”