VIN numbers on STD cases

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: VIN numbers on STD cases

Post by Cotten »

Ivanelofanich!

I'm sure glad I can cut'n'paste Lynrd's name, and yours.

By his post (I cannot always view pics...), I guess your venture to "restore", especially by AMCA standards, would never be cost effective.

But grab cases if ever you can, as even in a cardboard box sitting next to your machine, it is a worthy investment.
Without them, your machine falls into the consumeable catagory, which was always my favorite.
Back when I had favorites.

....Cotten
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Ivan, no-one said you are an outcast. But Robbie is correct in stating that with STD cases it will never be a 52 Hydra-Glide. You said you finally got your hands on a nice 1952 Hydra-Glide but you do not have a 1952 Hydra-Glide.

I am not sure why you referred to 1952. You said: ‘The bike has STD cases fitted so VIN is non Harley.’
What non-Harley VIN do you mean? Do you mean there is some sort of VIN on the cases? And if so then what is it?

You said the STD number is used on the title and you also said there is no mention of the original H-D numbers. And you asked: ‘Does anyone know a way that I could find the original factory VIN?’
If you are trying to find out what the original factory VIN was then that sounds to me like there was no Harley-style VIN transferred to the STD cases so why did you refer to 1952?
Eric
Ivanelofanich
Bikes: 1952 Panhead
KTM 990 Adventure

Post by Ivanelofanich »

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, your making me feel realy welcome.

Speeding Big Twin: The VIN number stamped on the cases (and matches on the title) is MVIN191165IND but it's not in the place an HD number would be. In the normal location its embossed 'STD'. I say its a 1952 as that's the year on the title and the description posted by the HD shop I got her from.

Lynrd: Bungie cord is now history as I've fitted a new spring and kicker arm / pedal - starts really easily.

Any tips on getting a standard (style) exhaust system - would the STD cases be an issue ?

Don't think I'm going to be knocking on the AMCAs door any time soon, just waiting for the sun to shine so I can get out on the road and do some miles.
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Don't worry Ivan we're not outcasts just Redheaded Step Children. In the fam but just not 100%.

One term that I adopted (from someone here is) "Mostly". You have a "Mostly 1952 Pan" it looks nice to me.

I'm also Not a Show Bike owner. If I can't ride it, I don't want it. Sitting in a parking lot in the heat has never been fun to me. When it breaks, I'll load it on the trailer... but if it's running I ride it. I see Thousands of broke H-D's every year where I live. :roll:
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

CaptMike wrote:Don't worry Ivan we're not outcasts just Redheaded Step Children. In the fam but just not 100%.

One term that I adopted (from someone here is) "Mostly". You have a "Mostly 1952 Pan" it looks nice to me.

I'm also Not a Show Bike owner. If I can't ride it, I don't want it. Sitting in a parking lot in the heat has never been fun to me. When it breaks, I'll load it on the trailer... but if it's running I ride it. I see Thousands of broke H-D's every year where I live. :roll:
Mike, I would like to add:

After my Electra-Glide had its ongoing electical bug that Harley dealer could not fix..........

"If I can't fix it I don't want it".

George

Ivan.......nice bike.. ride it and have fun.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Thanks for your reply, Ivan, and it’s good to see you have a sense of humour. 8) You probably understand now why I asked about your reference to 1952. If no 52 Harley VIN was transferred to the STD cases and there is no Harley VIN on the title then all I can suggest is talking to the shop you bought the bike from if you still want to try to find the original VIN. Maybe the shop will have contact info on the previous owner. And perhaps you could try the DMV. But of course the bike may never have even been a complete 52; it could have been built from parts.

I don’t think the STD cases will be an issue regarding the fitting of a standard style exhaust system. However, some STD cases are beefier than Harley ones and some STD cases have reinforcement ribs on the outside so you may have to check clearance if you plan to run an S-pipe as part of the front exhaust.
Eric
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

EVERYBODY has given good info!--As Robbie said it will never be a 52 with std cases!--Your Title may even read 2011,Reconstructed, followed by std #s----RICHIE 8) ,HELL Ride the sh-- of it & have fun!!!--While you collect the parts you need!----NICE BIKE you have there!!!
Ivanelofanich
KTM 990 Adventure

Post by Ivanelofanich »

Hello all,

My (Mostly) 1952 Pan when through the process at the DVLA (The U.K. licencing authority) and is now fully road legal and registered with a 1952 title and plate.

From the attached photo you’ll see that I’ve made a few repairs and fitted an original style exhaust system and deluxe solo seat.

I wasn’t brave enough to keep the left hand front brake, the foot clutch and hand change are enough of a challenge by themselves!

I’ve been using the bike to commute to work and other ‘Local’ rides – its great fun and has been pretty reliable so far. We’re planning a longer trip as soon as time allows.

The Hydra front end ‘Bangs’ quite hard when the forks top out after a bump – I’ve changed the fork oil, its better but still a bit harsh. Is this the normal experience with Hydra-Glides?

Got a bit of an oil leak from the primary – is it worth thinking about a belt drive?

Thanks for all the positive comments – the bike will never be 100% but it sure is going to get used !
Attachments
My lovely 'Mostly' 1952 FL
My lovely 'Mostly' 1952 FL
Mostly 1952 Panhead (1280x776).jpg (127.22 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

The Hydra front end ‘Bangs’ quite hard when the forks top out after a bump.
Is this the normal?
Yes
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Yer license plate is bigger than yer oil tank....bosheff
Ivanelofanich
KTM 990 Adventure

Post by Ivanelofanich »

Bosheff wrote:Yer license plate is bigger than yer oil tank....bosheff

Air brake to help out those old Panhead drums !!

Return to “Cases / Heads”