1946 FL
1949FL
1957FL
1968 FLH
1984 softail
1993 Sporty (Buell engine)

Crankcase breather vent tube 2

Post by Johnno »

I have purchased a 51 Pan/Shovel which came with the crankcase breather blocked off & one of those little new fangled air breathers fitted to the top of an aftermarket oil tank (tee'd into the engine breather pipe, the one that runs back to the oil tank). Result, oil blows out of breather filter, oil leaks from primary side of crank, oil leak around rear pushrod tube. Obviously this system won't work. I was thinking of doing what "Pan Bagger" suggests in an earlier post & remove welsh plug in rear of R/H case, tap a thread, screw in fitting & run a hose from it. Also remove tank breather to make it a closed system which by looking at my 49pan seems to me how the system was intended. Will this work? Should I take the new breather hose up in an arc or just straight out? Does the original breather have some sort of PCV valve built in that I haven't allowed for? One other question is it has an external screw on oil filter plumbed into the oil intake line? I would have thought any type of external filter should be on the return line. As fitted if filter blocks no oil in engine. Your thoughts? Sorry to be so long winded but don't want to proceed untill I have some expert advise.
P.S It has a belt primary & don't really want to fit an original breather with a piece of hose for asthetic reasons.
Any help much appreciated.
Aussie Johnno
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: Crankcase breather vent tube 2

Post by Hog54 »

You dont need a filter on the breather.Just run a short piece of hose on it,maybe 4 inches so it sticks out just below the frame.And dont touch the welsh plug!And yeah,the filter should be on the return line.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

It still amazes me what some people do!. I mean is it me or do others fell the same!--Mount a breather on a return-line!-(WELL thats what keeps the BIZ. coming!)----RICHIE :lol:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Did you read the other breather tube thread from last week?
It covers this same topic!
Robbie
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I rigged this up for my 49. It clears the primary and should vent onto the chain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Mr Mach1 wrote:I rigged this up for my 49. It clears the primary and should vent onto the chain.

Why go through all that?Just cut the breather at the elbow and run a hose about 6 inches off of it.You dont need it running around in the primary.
Johnno
Bikes: 1924 F
1929 F
1930 V
1942 WLA
1946 FL
1949FL
1957FL
1968 FLH
1984 softail
1993 Sporty (Buell engine)

Post by Johnno »

Thanks to all who posted a reply, I have made up a fitting that breaths out L/H side of case & seems to be working fine, (no primary covers Mr Mach 1) changed plumbing of oil lines & removed breather from line thereby closing system. This seems to have stopped most oil leaks, may get a chance to give it a decent run soon (shift-worker). Now if I can just get it to start a little easier S&S super E & Joe Hunt magneto + ? cam.
Cheers Aussie Johnno
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hog54 wrote:
Mr Mach1 wrote:I rigged this up for my 49. It clears the primary and should vent onto the chain.

Why go through all that?Just cut the breather at the elbow and run a hose about 6 inches off of it.You dont need it running around in the primary.
I just don't care for running hose. I prefer tubing when possible. I also thought I might run a chain again and didn't want to cut the breather. Guess I'm a bit off center :)
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Once you run a belt,you will never go back.
Lynrd
Bikes: 1949 FL

Post by Lynrd »

If any of that copper mess fails within the primary cover while the motor is running - say from vibration - and drops into the primary drive, you could very suddenly have a very large problem on your hands. I really would recommend you rethink that design. I'd run rubber hose if I had to run anything, and if It were mine, I'd think long and hard about what it is I'm solving for...
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

Hog54 wrote:
Hog's right, no need for anything inside the primary.

Here's another option to cutting the breather at the elbow. Remove the breather and install one of these:

http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/products.php Scroll down to the bottom and look at NA022.
fragrep

Post by fragrep »

I realize this topic has been visited -re- visited then gone over... however I just got to it. Anyway this is my 50' Pan. I ran the breather hose up and around like this (see photo, pink tube:). I'm thinking the "mist"/oil will drip on, and oil my rear chain? Will the way I routed the hose (pitch up be a problem)? I value all opinions. Thank you!

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”