1947 Indian Chief Rebuild / Resto

The place for all Indian related topics
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

My neighbor is the kind of fellow that you want as help. One of the most creative guys, when it comes to fixing anything. Just not someone you can leave with an old machine. He and aluminum don't mix. Give him steel or cast iron, and he's just fine. He may hand you pieces of aluminum, when he's done. He will be a great guy to have around when it comes time for assembly. Hard worker, and reliable. His son is much calmer, and just as good. Maybe better, in some ways. But, he's holding down a full time job, working shifts. See him only on occasion. He's the the guy (all grown up now) that I took with me on a x-country trip around the U.S., back in 1987. He was 14 years old, and the trip was a birthday present. When he's around, we spend 2 or 3 hours talking about the same topic. Always comparing notes. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the interest in bikes that I do. Nor does his wife approve. But, he's all for another trip (on one of my other machines) whenever I say go. Just got to resolve this problem with my lower back, and finish the bikes. Working on both.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Update

Post by Jack_Hester »

My neighbor came over with his tractor. He had the bucket installed, so we knocked down the old shelter that's been caved in for going on two years, preventing me from getting into the old barn. Pushed it into a pile, to be disposed of later, when the ground drys out. With that out of the way, it's safe for me to venture in. Took a quick look to see how things fared, since my last visit. Boy was it overwhelming. Mainly, because I've got to get it all out. I looked my 47 Chief components over, quickly. They are intact. Figuring out where to put the other stuff is the question, for now. Lots of 45 goodies, and boxes of unknowns. We will try to recover the Indian, tomorrow. The rest, when I can. Sure was glad to make that milestone. More to come. Pics, when the Indian is in the shop.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack-

Sounds like a busy day. Bet you will be glad to get your Indian in your shop !!!
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Pics from the first venture into the barn:

I didn't snap pictures of the automotive junk that I had to drag out an haul to the dumpster, so that I could get to the Indian parts. The Chief frame, engine components, and a couple of H-D 45 wheels were all that the back could take for one trip. My neighbor is coming back on Saturday, with his tractor and bucket. We'll haul the rest of the Indian components out, then.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Oh, by the way. Pleasant surprise, when digging through the parts. Found another set of Chief engine cases, along with a third Chief left case. Didn't dig real deep. I had to remind myself that I was getting the major Chief components out. There's a couple of old Ford Flathead V8 engines, and a Ford 239? OHV V8. They're in the way, but they are keepers. Will just need to find another building to put them in.

Jack
indianut

Post by indianut »

Man....I wonder what ever happened with that Indian?!?!?

Return to “Indians”