1947 Indian Chief Rebuild / Resto

The place for all Indian related topics
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

1947 Indian Chief Rebuild / Resto

Post by Jack_Hester »

I posted my upcoming plans for my Chief, on the other forum. But, was made aware of this heading for Restorations. So, this will be my place to post comments and links to pictures for this upcoming build. Even though the forum is Harley-Davidson in origin, I figure that a good Indian build might interest those, who enjoy old two-wheeled machines, that are part of our past, no matter the brand.

Jack
VT

Post by VT »

rave on.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Thanks for the new heading. Maybe some pictures will be coming soon. Got to renew my ladder climbing skills, to get the engine and tranny components out of the shop loft. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I'm getting in the mood to start building the 47 Chief engine. I'm looking for ideas, drawings, or pictures of a bench stand for mounting my engine cases. I haven't seen the bike assembled in more than a couple of decades. And, I don't have access to an assembled one, to see how it is mounted in the frame. If anyone is familiar with one, please let me know. Sure would be good to see this engine, up there on the bench with the Harley engines. Great comparison/contrast in Americana.

Jack
Jack

47 Chief

Post by Jack »

Jack has been a while since last post on chief what is the verdict have u pulled the cases apart yet to see what its like on the inside keep us posted.Took alot of years to get mine done but was so worth it.Mine is a 45 civillian.Dont be cheap on trany if they come unglued its not pretty!later
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Speaking of tranny gears, I just got a Dixie flyer announcing slider and cluster gears, as well as '40 and later drive gears.... for a fraction of the price of one gear from anywhere else.

Many complain about their HD 45" gears, but I found them adequate. Chief and Scout tranny ears are a LOT simpler in form. I would only wonder about the heat treat.

I stopped taking in such benchwork, so I won't be seeing any soon.

Are you a Dixie dealer, Jack H?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Cotten -

No, I'm not. Can you you give me their contact info? I'll drop them a note, or give them a call, and see what it takes. Thanks.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Even for a Sunday, there were too many distractions to remember to scan Dixie's flyer.
But I did manage to finish off a WL manifold,.. a week late. I'll cram some zeroxes into the box when I ship tomorrow. With luck.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Thanks, Cotten -

No such thing as late. You did it when it needed to be done. Looking forward to the manifold and the contacting Dixie. Thanks, again.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

To the other Jack -

Haven't touched the Chief, yet, though I made some room in the shop to put all the components. Indianut, over on the FHP site, sent me a couple of pictures of a Chief engine and tranny in his shop. They are flatbottomed enough to sit on the bench by themselves. I'm thinking that I still want to fabricate a stand(s) to hold them up about an inch off of the bench. I have a buddy who is one fine machinist. He takes my sketches and turns them into works of art. There is also another machine shop close by, that can shear plate up to 1 inch thick (not that I can think of anything that thick, that I might need). Whenever I have need to mount a tool or stand on a bench, I have a piece of 3/8" plate sheared to mount it to. I drill and tap the plate for the tool/stand mounting, and drill and bolt the plate to the bench. Hope to get something for them fabbed up within the next couple of months. The H-D WLA is on the front burner, at the moment. But, the Chief is not far behind.

Jack H.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack-

I sure look forward to any pics & info as you start your "Injun" project.
I have always had a thing for Indians, just never got one, (yet) Lottery ??
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

All shop work has been at a standstill, this Spring. Hopefully, in another week, I will be on some normal hours to dig it all out and do inventory. It will be a new learning curve for me, on the Chief. Will go slow, so as to not create problems. Sure will be nice to have an Indian around the shop.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Well, my neighbor retired recently. He's one of these hyper types. Can never sit still. He's after me, to let him bring his tractor over and tear down the old shed that's preventing me from getting into the barn. I wanted to do it last Winter, when it was cold, and the snakes and other such critters were less a threat. He wasn't retired, then. Now, he's starting to convince me that we can master the snakes, wasps, and unforseen gremlins that lurk in the old barn. And, I really want to get to the Indian parts, in a bad way. He just wants to plunder and see what other stuff that I have stashed away. Maybe he's right. Maybe we can do it. There's other good stuff to distract me, but the Indian Chief is all that I want to focus on. Maybe my wrecked 76 FLH was a blessing in disquise. It was the only pushbutton that I had on the road. Now, I want to put all my kickstarters back out there where they belong. Just setting the priorities, as to which will be first. And, how to fund the rebuilds, so as not to incur the wrath of my spousal unit. Chronic back problems prevent her from riding. So, they are low priority to her. The '67 ServiCar may be the trick. Once restored, it can be her way to be an active participant. But, that's another story. Indians get a bad rap. They can be just as much fun as anything on the road. They fall into the catagory of all older machines, though. They require specialized maintenance by the owner/rider, that is not required on the new stuff. I'm all for maintenance free machines. Somebody needs them. I grew up with the notion that machines need owner attention. I just don't feel right, if I don't. Anyway, the Chief is heavy on my mind. Along with the 59 FLH. My WLA has been in the works for some time, and will continue to be the first in my plans to get one of these back on the road. But, my neighbor has really got me pondering the Chief, lately. Maybe we can do something about the shed, this weekend.

Jack
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

mercy jack......it sounds like you dont have the first iron in the fire!!! lol lol
good luck on the exploration of the ol barn....ya just might run across a few gold nuggets in there.........
chucktx
Billy_

Post by Billy_ »

Jack-
Maybe you're right. This is all lining up for your Indian.. Sounds like..
and your hyper-retired neighbor, might need for you to channel his extra energy into helping you..

You'd be doing him a favor, since he can't sit still.. Good Luck

Return to “Indians”