Straight leg frame

Identification information of frames and transmissions
Wilbe29
Bikes: 1970 shovel&1957 Pan

Straight leg frame

Post by Wilbe29 »

I found a straight leg but don't know what. Year on the right side of motor mount there is a 2 G
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Re: Straight leg frame

Post by Gotnoclass »

G=7
2=February

That would be February of 1957
Post a pic if you can
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Wilbe29, this is the second thread where you’re asking about an alleged straight-leg frame. Is it the same frame? Did you read the replies in your other thread? If you did then you would have read where I mentioned how the date code works—for example, A indicates January. Therefore you know G would indicate July. I also explained the number indicates the year the frame, or at least the top mount, was made.

You are aware that I don’t think the number you found on the back of the front engine mount was exactly as you read it. I asked if it was a swingarm frame but you didn’t respond. If it’s a swingarm frame then 2 may indicate the frame, or at least the top mount, was made in 1962 or 1972.

We can help ID the frame but you’ll need to help us do that. First, is it swingarm or rigid? If the frame is rigid then some of us may have already figured out what's going on and we'll explain it to you. And please post photos so we can ID the frame overall or parts thereof. If you’re not sure how to post photos we can assist you.
Eric

Straight leg frame
Wilbe29
Bikes: 1970 shovel&1957 Pan

Post by Wilbe29 »

Sorry I 'm new at this the frame is rigid don't know how to send photos
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

don't know how to send photos
How to add a picture/attachment to your post
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks, Wilbe. If it’s rigid then I think the back end may have been attached to part of the front of a swingarm frame. I’m basing my opinion on the forging number you found on the front engine mount because that number first appeared on 1958 models (swingarm frames) as I mentioned in the other thread. The last character in your forging number is 5 and I have an example of that die number on a frame made in 1962. This is consistent with 2 being part of your date code so at this stage I think your 2G date code may indicate 1962 July manufacture.

Compare your top mount with the two examples below. The mount at left is the earlier style, while the mount at right is the later type and it didn’t appear until about mid/late-69 models. Which one have you got?
BT frame top mounts_zpsqfbxv4v5.jpg
On the left side of your steering head you may find additional original component identifying numbers consisting of one letter followed by either three of four numbers—for example, the frame below has A8+++ and just above the ID are two small round indents which you may also find. Is there an A on your frame? Or perhaps B? (We don’t need to know the numbers.)
1962_zpspdw574k3.jpg
A photo of each side of your whole frame would be good, plus a close-up of the R-H side of the steering head.
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speeding Big Twin

Received your four photos. Date code 2G on this style of top mount, combined with the forging number you provided from the front engine mount, indicates the front section of the frame was made in July 1962. Various tabs etc have been removed, the steering head has been worked over and a plate has been attached atop the seat post tube area. The rear section looks like a homemade hardtail and the left axle plate appears to have been made to accommodate a hydraulic drum brake, as indicated by the red arrow I placed in one of the pictures.
image1 date code_zps4szfczvw.jpg
image1 frame_zpsszbvprb8.jpg
image1 front_zpsxpktrpk4.jpg
image1 rear_zpscd5kesmb.jpg
For comparison is the Panhead swingarm frame below and it too was made in July 1962. This is what your frame would have looked like originally. Also notice the 2 and G are the same style of characters as on your top mount.
Eric
1962 July date code_zpspf7y7oa8.jpg
1962 July frame_zpsqpqcm7d2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

That frame is nothing but a welded together piece of shit. Don't waste your money. Bob L
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Well done, Eric

I think there were a lot of swingarm frames that suffered that modification.
If you were building a chopper, a rigid frame was a must...!
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks, Tom. One of my mates converted his genuine H-D Shovel frame to rigid. He made his own hardtail and attached it himself but he was an excellent craftsman and the job was superb. He also used to do machining work for some of us, making bits and pieces for the bikes.

In about 83/84 I put my 64 Pan engine in a genuine H-D rigid frame for about six months just to see what it looked like. One day I rode with a few mates to a pub in the hills and later we headed for one of their houses to continue. I was behind a Disc Glide piloted by the fastest rider I know and when I saw his brakelight I remembered the approaching right-angle corner but there was no way my mechanical drums were up to it. I made it between two bollards on the other side of the road and ploughed into the bush. The bike remained upright at first but then stopped abruptly in the sand and I flew over the bars. I still remember thinking about dying as a sailed through the air because there were a few trees around but I missed them and landed on my back in the dirt with no major injury.

Later I put an eight-over, drum-brake Sportster front end on the rigid for a couple of weeks, again just to see what it looked like. It handled okay, too, but bounced a bit at around 75mph. Fortunately I avoided the cops over that brief period because I don’t think they would have appreciated the long forks.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin

Gotnoclass wrote:G=7
2=February

That would be February of 1957
I’m always intrigued when I see a frame DC interpreted in that manner and I’ve noticed a few people on other forums explaining the DC this way. Is your info from a book or some other source? Please note I mean no offence by asking but because it keeps occurring I’d like to find out why people think the frame DC works in that fashion. Thanks.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin

Bob, you can’t fool me. I know you like that hardtail set-up pictured above and I know you’re just talking it down so you can buy it at a low price. I’m positive that’s what you’re up to because I know you wouldn’t be rude to a person who only recently joined the forum. 8)
Eric

Return to “Frame / Transmission”