49 Pan Charging Issues

dlbohne
Bikes: 08 Street Glide
02 Fat Boy
49 EL

49 Pan Charging Issues

Post by dlbohne »

I have a 49 EL. Going on Summer #2 with it, so learning, but got a long way to go... Previous owner converted it to a 12 volt system with a 65A generator and a Bosch 12V regulator.

Out for a ride last weekend and had the generator light come on faintly about 25 miles from home... Was running headlamp and spot lights on, so quickly turned them off to save the battery to make sure I got home. Headed home and found the generator wasn't charging. Ran through the basic checks and found the generator to be bad (confirmed by local shop) so put a new generator in last night. Now when I fire it up, I am getting a faint generator light at idle that goes out with a slight increase in RPM. This is the first I have experienced this, as the old generator never had an issue turning off the light at idle. Putting a volt meter on it at the battery, at idle, I am just barely putting out 12 volts and then climbs up to 14.0-14.1 at high RPM.

Questions:

1) Should I have to make an adjustment in the voltage regulator after installing a new generator?

2) When replacing a generator, should I just do a new voltage regulator in case it was damaged when the generator went?

3) The generator failure - Any reason to think that running the headlamp and spots failed it? Doesn't seem like it should of, but normally I am only running the headlamp and kick the spots on at night if I am on dark back roads watching for deer.

Any help/advice appreciated!

Darren
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 49 Pan Charging Issues

Post by 58flh »

Dbone----Check all conections for green/rot & give the conections a good tug!/RUN 2-grounds-(It helps).Get a new BOSCH REG. --Assuming the genny is good!/& SOLDER all joints/Hook-up Flash the A-TERM. on the Genny & you should be good to go!--I run AGM Batteries /Just cant kill one!.Remember to follow your wiring that goes to coil/& check & clean your POINTS with a Paper card dipped in Mek or something.I have always used MEK/& never a problem.--I almost forgot /check the grommet that the rear brake & Running light go thru!/Hell I check the bulb just for the sake of doing it!--Its no fun when your buddy infront of you lights give out followed by a 12-Guage in your ear! :lol: ---Respectfully---Richie
dlbohne
Bikes: 08 Street Glide
02 Fat Boy
49 EL

Post by dlbohne »

FLH58 - Thanks for the feedback. Spent last night checking over all of the wiring. I found that the battery feed wire from the voltage regulator back to the battery had continuity to ground. Following the wiring back, it is wired from the VR to the electrical center at the seat post where it makes the connection back to the battery. Visually I found nothing obviously shorted, but as I pulled it all apart, cleaned everything up, now I am not showing continuity to ground. Not sure if the eylet was touching the side cover underneath and taking it apart was just enough to clean it up. It got too late to fire it up last night, so I'll do that tonight and make sure everything is charging right. Also want to take a closer look at everything and try to see if I can figure out why i had the short to ground, as it seems like it should have killed the battery, etc... Just want to make sure it doesn't happen again!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Just remember on a Rigid Its Consistent Maintenence that keeps them alive & brings you home!/That wire could of just been rubbing & finally It made contact.Always chek your oil before you go anywhere & Atleast 1-time a month go over the chains & you will find a loose fastener here & there--Its just the nature of a Rigid!.I adj. my bike every 4-to 500-MILES FOR-SURE!/Most of the time its add oil & like every 1000-miles I adj. the chains/& Align wheels.Grease this oil that.Thats the Fun of it!/After awhile you will know your bike so good that You wont even have to look at the odometer/You just know Primary & Drive chain adj.-Just from the feel of it!----Stay-Safe----Richie
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

When yoput it ack together did you make sure you "flashed" positive side of generator tomake sure you have correct polarity?

Return to “Generator”