Cam cover ??

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Cam cover ??

Post by RUBONE »

That is a third version cover for a '56-'57 Pan. The only difference for a '58 is the size of the generator bolt holes. Personally I would drill them out and use the 5/16 bolts for strength.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will use it then, and per your advice I am going to stay with the roller cam bearings.

I informed Dan Baisley, that my intent with this 58 engine build it to keep it as close to standard/stock as possible.

Again, many thanks.

George
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

58flh wrote:George--My # is also 25 217 40.--Also if you look where the bottom 3 screws are close together (There are Foundry stamps 3 of them-on my 58-OEM cover.The stamps are round & You need a Magnyfying glass to read whats in them.Im sure ERIC already knows!.----Respectfully----Richie
Richie, most of my photos are via eBay and I just went through my collection again but it’s hard to see detail in some things. If you can read the small markings on your cover please let us know what they say.

My bike has the 63–64 style cover and it’s several years since it was off the engine so I don’t know if mine has any ID inside apart from the usual casting number.
Eric
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

old.wrench wrote:Here are a few pics for comparison. This is an "in between" ('51 - '52) sand cast cover. According to the numbers, I believe it was cast in February of 1951. You can also see where the generator bolt holes have been hogged out to 5/16", which is kind of a bummer, but it is what it is and it functions just fine.

Geo.
George, my impression is that a lot of Panhead gear covers were cast in Feb 51 because there seem to be plenty of them with the 2-1 code. My best guess on the lone 2 is that it may be an inspector mark similar to what we see under some trans cases.
Eric
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

One last question about the cover.

If I decide to use the outside oiler heads for this build that Don (Headhog) rebuilt for me, would it be better to tap into the covers pinion supply channel for a oil supply, instead of tapping off the oil pumps idiot light switch,

Would it be advisable to drill and tap a hole for the supply at the top of the cover, OR take out the welch plug and use it for a supply instead of drilling and tapping the top of the cover? The welch plug could be replaced with not much trouble.

Been looking at various methods to obtain a supply, and it seems to me that the welch plug would be the most simple way.

Since I am going to modify the cover to fit the engine anyway, might as well ask now.

Thanks

George
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I have always used the position of a Knuckle cover oil fitting. easy to do on a Pan cover. However it is also easy to take it right out of the feed for the lifters. Fittings are available that replace the cap on the witches hat screen and allow feed to be taken off there. Both options are cleaner than the sending unit location.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

The bushing pins? Is it the pic or are they placed wrong?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The should be half in the bushing and half in the cover I would think but those are the bushings with the wide flange on top so once you got thru the flange you would be half in the alluminum...
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

George Greer wrote:I think that I got this figured out.

Yep, works just fine.......

Thanks for the advice and tips... the wife fusses at me all the time, "you work on the most complicated helicopters in the world".......but why can't you fix what I want you to. :D

Now lets see what I got.

George
Are all the oil supply channels hollow?

I am interested in knowing how much I have to drill to accept a fitting for a oil supply line like the knucklehead cam covers.

Thanks, and sorry for such a stupid question. :oops:

George

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”