Chain ???

49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Chain ???

Post by 49bones »

Is everyone running O Ring chains? Or are there clearance issues with them on pans?
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Chain ???

Post by old.wrench »

49bones,
No, not everybody :) .
I still continue to run the conventional chain, either Diamond or Tsubaki and keep them clean and well lubed.

Geo.
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Post by Casaba »

O-ring rubbed so running regular diamond myself
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Bones!-How ya been?-long-time no hear!--(that's GOOD!).You know me & chains /-Never run o-rimg/Dia,ond Has servrd me very well iver the yrs.--A Very Smart friend of mine turned me on to the chains called -(SAPHIRE)-I have a new one on now!-I had a new one on last-year!/& Ill use up the next one -next year!.--Heres the thing with SAPHIRES there $18.00--from a vendor by me.There good for 20K/-Then you know that ADJ. getting ready to hit its stop.I get 2yrs. out of Diamond rear chains!--The Primaries I get ALOT of mileage /Cause Im one of those guys who uses his Chain-oiler!I been going by the same formula Bones,Rub the primary with a finger or 2 & they MUST be wet!/If your finger is dry & has Brown on it/Your chain is already been overused & Heated.The left tire should have a sheen to it here & there./Also I have my oiler set to 3/4s of a QT. between 4-500 Miles!(depending how hard ta ran it & if in a lot of dust/sand--That just east em up.I tried the SAPHIRES cause funds were draining fast!-So I got a few boyz together & we ordered 18 of them!--Hey $18 for a years worth of beating is ok in my book!Just look at it like a new chain a year!--& Yes I did boil them in grease before mounting!/That's a given on any pure chain!---IF you got the scratch DIAMOND has always served me well on Street Applicaple bikes.---RICHIE
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

I run O ring chain with no problem for 5K miles ,had a close clearance problem with front chain guard attachment , which was easily fixed .
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

BLEWCRAB---On that Chain with the seals/You say you have around 5K in it --Take a REAL good look at the O-rings!/Using a Dental pik/ or even dull tweezers Take them & tug on a few around the chain.Let us know how many are still good & how many have craked/split or damaged in any way.Try it on 10/different links so 20-total.The reason Im asking is you are like the ilny guy I know that's running one/BUT the real reason/I was at a Jap Shop the other night/a buddie is making a killing just bolting on parts that these 19-year old kids think it makes the bike faster by 2-SECINDS!-(OK)!-A burner came in on a towtruck & we dripped it right there so all the shit could leak in the drains!I grabbed a cutter & cut the chain off!---Looked it over after letting it sit in the hot-tank.Rinsed it off & I said this chain is NEW!/My buddy said yep I put it on a week ago!It was a $180-Tsubaki/The rollers had substantial circular movement ,Just way more then it should of!/So I knew this bike was a Beat me up & keep me safe as possible By the things he had added to it.He pit a NEW TIRE with the CHAIN same time!.NOTHING left of the tire/Matter of fact We found where the bubble popped & sent him sideways instantly as he was on 1-wheel.2 other bikes with cameras were following the stunt.He got 2+ miles on 1-wheel/Which is really not that hard on those Top-heavy revving motors!.We figured iver the few days while he was working in the wheel/He went a little to much!/A Bubble formed which cant be seen & The cams behind heard the tire POP!/& everything after that.He jumped on the back of a bike the towtruck wound a strap on it & away to the shop where I happen to see all this unfold!.Upon checking the chain the seals between rillers were in great cond.!/Its no surprise as it had 40-miles in it maybe.But the chain when hung on a nail in a tree had a skew to it/The skew was both ways.NOT bad for a $180 chain.----Richie
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

58flh wrote:Bones!-How ya been?-long-time no hear!--(that's GOOD!).You know me & chains /-Never run o-rimg/Dia,ond Has servrd me very well iver the yrs.--A Very Smart friend of mine turned me on to the chains called -(SAPHIRE)-I have a new one on now!-I had a new one on last-year!/& Ill use up the next one -next year!.--Heres the thing with SAPHIRES there $18.00--from a vendor by me.There good for 20K/-Then you know that ADJ. getting ready to hit its stop.I get 2yrs. out of Diamond rear chains!--The Primaries I get ALOT of mileage /Cause Im one of those guys who uses his Chain-oiler!I been going by the same formula Bones,Rub the primary with a finger or 2 & they MUST be wet!/If your finger is dry & has Brown on it/Your chain is already been overused & Heated.The left tire should have a sheen to it here & there./Also I have my oiler set to 3/4s of a QT. between 4-500 Miles!(depending how hard ta ran it & if in a lot of dust/sand--That just east em up.I tried the SAPHIRES cause funds were draining fast!-So I got a few boyz together & we ordered 18 of them!--Hey $18 for a years worth of beating is ok in my book!Just look at it like a new chain a year!--& Yes I did boil them in grease before mounting!/That's a given on any pure chain!---IF you got the scratch DIAMOND has always served me well on Street Applicaple bikes.---RICHIE

Nice one guys! Conventional chain it is.

Hey Richie hope you're well mate. Yeah got a good run coming up in a few weeks to the Hotrod Hayride nearish to London so getting her all prepped. Keep running into little problems but getting there slowly. Overhauled the from brake last weekend, that works perfectly now. Need to do the rear one and get the chain running all good. Im still up against it with the BDL belt running out of line which is causing me problems with using the roller bearings so going back to the cage and rollers (not the round ones) and gonna have to machine the inside of the front pulley out to bring it in to get it more in line. Also got another Nylatron hub gasket so i'll be running two of those, not sure what difference that will make. Not been on here much as my car was written off and been on holiday so sorting all that shit out out but everything is good in England apart from that. Also today was 34 degrees, it was freakishly hot! Loving it.

Return to “Chains & Belts”