jetting s&s carb

S&S carburetor isues
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

jetting s&s carb

Post by el rojo »

I bought a new S&S super E for my 62 and was told that the intermediate jet that comes with it needs to be changed to a ??? if it is to be used on a Panhead. Anybody else familiar with that?
El Rojo
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: jetting s&s carb

Post by 58flh »

ELROHO----The Main needs to be changed also---I run .070 on the main & I can go to .068/But I like my burn slightly rich.On the intermidiate jet Change to a .029.Remember that a S&S-E Stock is way more then a stock pan needs.So you are actually de-tuning it in a sense/For the help of the x-tra cfm that the E will give you.There is much about this in the Knowledge Base.All you need is right there.Good-Luck,---Respectfully----Richie
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

When I was re leak testing the intake manifold today as I couldn't seem to get the bike to idle correctly, I soaped everything down and there were no bubbles at all but I could still hear a small amount of air going somewhere. I finally put my finger on the rear spark plug hole and was surprised to feel some air coming out!! I thought I had the pushrod adjusted too much but when I checked, it was fine. I removed it all together and air was still barely coming out. I called the guy who did the top end and he said that he lapped all the seats and valves and checked all the springs and so couldn't understand why the intake valve is not seating. Looks like I get to take the head off and see what the hell is going on. Pissed in paradise!
El Rojo
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

el rojo wrote:When I was re leak testing the intake manifold today as I couldn't seem to get the bike to idle correctly, I soaped everything down and there were no bubbles at all but I could still hear a small amount of air going somewhere. I finally put my finger on the rear spark plug hole and was surprised to feel some air coming out!!
Around the spark plug or did you have the plug out?
el rojo wrote:I thought I had the pushrod adjusted too much but when I checked, it was fine. I removed it all together and air was still barely coming out.
Are you running solid lifters or hydraulic? If the pushrods are set too tight they'll keep the valve from seating, so you'll get air leaking past the intake or exhaust. But the pushrods don't have anything to do with air coming out the spark plug hole. I have heard about the spark plug threads not making a good seal -- maybe that's what's going on.
el rojo wrote: I called the guy who did the top end and he said that he lapped all the seats and valves and checked all the springs and so couldn't understand why the intake valve is not seating. Looks like I get to take the head off and see what the hell is going on. Pissed in paradise!
El Rojo
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

ELROHO---You have a FRESH MILL!--You pressurize it THE air has to go someplace.A plug hole can absolutely give a little up.Your rings are not seated yet & the motor is not broken in.It is not uncomon for a fresh motor to sneak air past the piston & rings.I would do what Mark said & check your ADJ.s on the valves.If it starts easy & runs /Then start breaking it in.---Respectfully---RICHIE
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

Mark44 wrote:
el rojo wrote:When I was re leak testing the intake manifold today as I couldn't seem to get the bike to idle correctly, I soaped everything down and there were no bubbles at all but I could still hear a small amount of air going somewhere. I finally put my finger on the rear spark plug hole and was surprised to feel some air coming out!!
el rojo wrote:I thought I had the pushrod adjusted too much but when I checked, it was fine. I removed it all together and air was still barely coming out.
Are you running solid lifters or hydraulic? If the pushrods are set too tight they'll keep the valve from seating, so you'll get air leaking past the intake or exhaust. But the pushrods don't have anything to do with air coming out the spark plug hole. I have heard about the spark plug threads not making a good seal -- maybe that's what's going on.
el rojo wrote: I called the guy who did the top end and he said that he lapped all the seats and valves and checked all the springs and so couldn't understand why the intake valve is not seating. Looks like I get to take the head off and see what the hell is going on. Pissed in paradise!
El Rojo
The plugs were out.
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

Mark44 wrote:
El Rojo
I am running solid lifters. I had the pushrod out so the intake valve should of been completely closed and I wasn't moving the piston up, just applying air in the manifold and a small amount of air was coming out the plug hole.
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

58flh wrote:ELROHO---You have a FRESH MILL!--You pressurize it THE air has to go someplace.A plug hole can absolutely give a little up.Your rings are not seated yet & the motor is not broken in.It is not uncomon for a fresh motor to sneak air past the piston & rings.I would do what Mark said & check your ADJ.s on the valves.If it starts easy & runs /Then start breaking it in.---Respectfully---RICHIE
Richie,
I only had the valves re seated, one exhaust valve replaced, valve guides checked and heads glass beaded. Nothing done on the lower end so rings are seated. When applying air to the intake manifold, there should only be one way the air can go to get to the combustions chamber to be able to come out the spark plug hole and that would be by getting past the intake valve.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Elroho-Sorry/I was under the impresion that you rebuilt the whole mill!--If you had your P-rods out & applied pressure to intake -(IT should not let 12lbs. of air out the valve!--I think you may as you said have to yank the head/maybe both??-Did he check spring pressure?-Are there any shims under any of the springs if you can remember??--Was your motor guy versed in Old bikes?,Good Rep.?--Hey it happens /you may fimd you olny have to lap one seat/Maybe more if the rear head leaked.If you see shims under the springs -Theres nothing wrong with that!-But If going more then .030-.040/Hell just use NEW ONES!/I have gotten away with .030 on my bike for 2yrs.!-But after teardown /Everything new!.They will run for ALONG time with shimmed springs!/I just prefer new & not worry about inner bind & the headaches that come with it.Dont feel bad/Talk to the guy & watch him check for Pressure & Hight--It takes 5-min. with the right stuff in front of you.He should Make good & fix them!----BUT then again You will know if hes a butcher & just walk away!-Try & get New springs from him first!-(I mean at that point it dont hurt to try).---Respectfully---Richie
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

58flh wrote:Elroho-Sorry/I was under the impresion that you rebuilt the whole mill!--If you had your P-rods out & applied pressure to intake -(IT should not let 12lbs. of air out the valve!--I think you may as you said have to yank the head/maybe both??-Did he check spring pressure?-Are there any shims under any of the springs if you can remember??--Was your motor guy versed in Old bikes?,Good Rep.?--Hey it happens /you may fimd you olny have to lap one seat/Maybe more if the rear head leaked.If you see shims under the springs -Theres nothing wrong with that!-But If going more then .030-.040/Hell just use NEW ONES!/I have gotten away with .030 on my bike for 2yrs.!-But after teardown /Everything new!.They will run for ALONG time with shimmed springs!/I just prefer new & not worry about inner bind & the headaches that come with it.Dont feel bad/Talk to the guy & watch him check for Pressure & Hight--It takes 5-min. with the right stuff in front of you.He should Make good & fix them!----BUT then again You will know if hes a butcher & just walk away!-Try & get New springs from him first!-(I mean at that point it dont hurt to try).---Respectfully---Richie
Hey Richie,

Any idea what the spring pressure should be when we check them? I never paid any attention to weather there were shims or not when I took the heads to him and the thought of the springs not being adequate never crossed my mind or I would of just gone with new ones right off the bat. Live and learn I guess. I'll let ya know what I find when I get them off.
El Rojo

Return to “S&S”