carburator

S&S carburetor isues
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

carburator

Post by el rojo »

I got her all put back together and she lit off pretty quickly with only a couple of kicks. I have an S&S carburetor with the markings 336-D3-ultR2 on it. It has an accelerator pump as well. When she first lit off, I was getting some coughing especially upon acceleration. Seemed to get a little better as she warmed up but still coughed from time to time accompanied by flame shooting out. I thought I might still have a intake manifold leak even though I tested it before mounting the carb because since it got a little better when it warmed up I figured it was due to heat expansion. I pulled the carb back off, leak tested it again and no bubbles! Put the carb back on, turned on the gas and fuel started pouring out of a small brass barbed fitting on the front of the carb at about 3 o'clock as you are looking at it. I quickly shut the gas off after inventing a few more cuss words and here I am. Does anyone know what that barb is for? If gas is coming out of it, does it mean that the float is sticking??
Rojo
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Re: carburator

Post by Tattoo »

el rojo wrote: If gas is coming out of it, does it mean that the float is sticking??
Rojo

Yes.... It sounds like you have trash in your tank... Or at least some where.....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I agree--drip the bowl & before you dump the corn-juice see what it actually is.Is it scale from tank, Gummy,etc.Anything besides fuel will block the float-valve.--Respectfully---RICHIE
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

58flh wrote:I agree--drip the bowl & before you dump the corn-juice see what it actually is.Is it scale from tank, Gummy,etc.Anything besides fuel will block the float-valve.--Respectfully---RICHIE
Thanks guys.
The gas shouldn't be the problem as I had the gas tanks painted and also looked inside them with a flashlite and they looked real clean. The gas was new as well and it is the non ethanol stuff. Someone said that if there are absolutely no air leaks then it sounds like she is running too lean? and to play with the air/fuel screw. I guess first I need to fix the float from sticking and then dick with the air/fuel ratio and see if she starts behaving.
Rojo
el rojo

Post by el rojo »

Good news! (at least so far) I found out why gas kept pouring out the overflow fitting. Even though I had new gas and clean tanks, I pulled the piston out that makes the seal when the float is up all the way and saw a very small piece of rubber lodged in the shaft the plunger goes in preventing it from fully sealing. It had to come from the end of the fuel hose when I pushed it back on. Got her going and then tweaked the air/fuel screw and no more coughing even when adding throttle. I am not counting all my chickens yet until I can take her out and road test her. (been pouring rain for the last weeks or so) Keep yall posted.
Rojo
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

el rojo wrote: Someone said that if there are absolutely no air leaks then it sounds like she is running too lean? and to play with the air/fuel screw.
My guess from your symptoms is it's running too lean.
el rojo wrote: I guess first I need to fix the float from sticking and then dick with the air/fuel ratio and see if she starts behaving.
Rojo

Return to “S&S”