Ballsy rattle.

bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Ballsy rattle.

Post by bangkokbob »

Hi to all.
Going to put this one out there.

I've got a ballsy rattly sound when my 63 Dou is under load at speeds of over 50 MPH.

I've timed it (timing light, centred ,FA) with both sets of points set at 018"

If I retard ignition with twist grip 1/8" it mainly disappears.

I run high octane fuel.

Now I realise that retarded ignition puts less load on engine but it runs hotter.

The bike has been doing this for a few thousand miles with no apparent downfall.

I do have excess end float on all the rocker arms that can be felt when pushrods are pulled latterly sideways (could this be the sound)

Thanks to all valid replies.
Regards,
B.B.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Ballsy rattle.

Post by 58flh »

BOB---IF it were the ROCKERS it would always be there,& vary with RPM.IF the motor is not a fresh build YOU may have CRUSTY DEPOSITS on the pistons & in the combustion chamber.With this They get hot enuff to glow RED.This will give you a sound as you are describing.What tips me off you say it goes away with RETARDING the timer a bit.I have heard this & Fixed it quite a few times over the yrs.The MOCO actually came up with a combustion chamber cleaner.--You shut your fuel off take the aircleaner off & start the bike,Then SPRAY the contents into the carb. while giving it RPM as it will want to stall!.The can is small & takes about 10-min. to empty.When I first tried it I was skeptical-,But it surprised me how much crap was laying along the floor behind the pipes.When I looked down the sparkplug holes the piston tops were like new!-& the bike ran perfectly.NOW I have to say I tried it on a shortster!/Actually a few of them & a few cone shovels with milage & all crudded-up!.I don't think I could bring myself to do it to a REAL BIKE.That said CHECK your timer for bushing wear & your points cam for wear also.IF it cant hold the same .018 after a few dry-humps I would fix it!-Then PULL the top-end for a looksee--You may need some work.& give you a chance to fix your rockers.Also you can try just adding some GUMOUT carb. cleaner & on a nice stretch of hi-way CLEAN HER OUT!---Run it at a steady 75 for a bit,It just may clean out the crud if you see its there by looking into a sparkplug hole with a light & a straw to see if you can scrape ALOT of gunk off the bottom of dome where the piston goes to the wall,Also any valve reliefs is a good place for crud to gather.Lets see what others may think as it could be a few things that cause this!-Are you using correct spark-plugs??----Respectfully----RICHIE-----PANHEAD SORRY for the X-tra posts!//Mouse needs cleaning
Last edited by 58flh on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangkokbob
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

Hi Richie.
Yes I would agree with carbon theory, but the bike spends most of it's life touring at highway speeds.
Plugs are correct and indicate good tuning.
10,000 miles last year and probably 1,000 so far this year.
Everything is tight and correct on this FLH having 43,000 miles on the speedo which I feel is close to the total.
I have been threatening to pull the tops for the last 18 months but still can't justify yet.
Paper oil filters when opened up reveal only slight blackening at the bottom of the pleats after 4-5,000 miles.
So I agree with you- I'll see what else is brought up
Regards,
B.B.
bangkokbob
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

I just remembered that I didn't mention that pinging is also present if I open the throttle up over 50 mph without retarding a bit also
The sound is not present as long as you are not loading or asking the motor to do too much.
Hope that helps a bit more.
regards,
B.B.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Your last posting sounds likew you may have crud in the chambers.Besides 40K on a PAN with HYDs. is about 10K overdue for TOP-END job!.If using solid-tappets As I do--I pull my top every 20K or every 2-years this works out to.Always change the Rollers on the tappets & Go over the heads!-(Check Jugs to-They may not need boring,Just a glaze-break & New-IRON RINGS.)---You really just don't know until you get in there & MIC.-EVERYTHING up!,All else is guessing!--As far as 40K on the motor -IT NEEDS the top-end GONE OVER!.As to what I have seen over the yrs./This is a TOP-END job needed!)-Just by the way you described the running & pinging or Pre-Detenation,To me sounds like crud & DEFINITE TOP-END job.-Just the mileage alone is past due for a TOP-END overhaul!---Respectfully---RICHIE.////PS--Amazing how really good these motors are!--GOOD-LUCK---RICHIE

Return to “Troubleshooting”