Pinion bushing seating depth

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Tunglegubbin
Bikes: 48EL

Pinion bushing seating depth

Post by Tunglegubbin »

I'm going to use a knucklehead gear cover on my 58 gearcase.
Consequently I need to change the pinion bushing to the small one.

The book tells me to mount the bushing as deep as it can.
This would seat the bushing so the lubrication holes no longer align.
It would still be open but half the diameter would be covered.
Doesn't seem right.

Anyone has an actual reference from the gasket surface?

/Mikael
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Pinion bushing seating depth

Post by RUBONE »

The correct type cover for the small bushing has a step in it that the bushing stops against. The earlier cover does not. That is why it can go too deep. The stock bushing is set at approximately 1/8". (I measured it a .120")
Robbie
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I just put a old knuck cover on my 58 in FEB.---I can tell you this ,the Eastern bering when its fitted at the correct depth --you will find the oil-holes will be partially blocked!-(both of them)--the feed you have to elongate the hole about .100-if memory serves me correctly,& the rear hole that on a 45-just run a bit thru it at the same angle!---Measure your clearences using the gover gasket that you will be using for sealing-up!--to take your end-play measurements!--remember try to get it to take 1-shim for proper clearance!--to many thin ones just disappear after awhile in the motor!---oh yea after you find the depth for your pinion bushing-use the pin & drill it a 1/32-deeper I put a drop of loc-tite & staked it back as should be.------RICHIE
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Post by clunker1 »

Richie---Not sure i understand the response to this post. I also am using an early model cam cover on a later pan. To determine the correct depth, I was going to use gap measurement from bottom of old bushing and duplicate with new bushing (without flange). What do you mean about finding depth and one shim? Did not think this side had a shim and end play was set by spacer in timken bearings of left case.....Dennis
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Dennis---You are correct!--I was ahead of myself & thinking of cam & idler,etc.-endplay!--Sorry for the confusion.My Fault for not explaining it better!----RICHIE
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Post by clunker1 »

Now that I have started to do this pinion fitting, I believe I will also double check by not only making sure the bushing hole lines up with the hole in the cover, but also ensure the hole in the shaft lines up with the hole in the bushing after the crank assembly is installed in the case. Dennis
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Clunker1--No doubt you will be scraping your pinion & others for correct fit!.Keep using the same cover gasket & put about 6-screws in the cover to hold it.--Just remember to color the insides of the bushings with a sharpie & give it a few turnovers.Pull the cover & there it is!---I have heard of guys using Reamers & homemade sanding mops--BIG NO for a SANDING-MOP,--Reamers work,BUT a MACHINIST-SCPRAPER will allow you to olny remove where needed & is a FAR BETTER choice in my personal opinion!--I prefer it as you may have to remove more on 1-side of the bushing-The SCRAPER gives you that freedom!-The Reamer will remove on the whole 360-degrees.I have used both & the Scraper may take longer-but the finished result is better!---respectfuly---RICHIE

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”