swingarm ID ?

Identification information of frames and transmissions
wallofdeath
Bikes: 47FL, 48F, 58FLH, 64FLH, 68FLH

swingarm ID ?

Post by wallofdeath »

I'm trying to ID this swingarm.
Palmers book page 65/66 doesn't quite fit what I see here.

A few things of interest that I'm intrigued about:
- pic 2 (Right inside) has a bracket?
- pic 4 (Right outside) has what looks like another axle adjuster hole (no thread) at the far end. This also appears on the Left side axle too.

The pivot does have the zerk in the middle and the pressure release hole off to the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: swingarm ID ?

Post by RUBONE »

The bracket on the right and the extra adjuster sleeves are add-ons and did not come stock on that swingarm. It appears to have had a different wheel/brake adapted to it, most likely a disc brake.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

As Robbie said, add-ons and not stock.

You mentioned pages 65-66 of Palmer’s book and I assume you mean the first edition? In that publication Bruce didn’t mention casting number 47614-58B and neither did he mention 47614-58A but he is aware of both of them now.

There were at least nine different round-tube swingarms used for Big Twins over the 1958-72 period. Sometimes the differences were minor and sometimes they were more involved. Major changes were reinforcement of the left axle clip but not all of it was done at the same time. Prior to 1963 models there were a few changes in that area and then as of 1963 models, two ribs were added to the outside of said clip and they remained there through 1972 models. You would have read that Palmer indicated casting number 47614-58 was moved to the inside as of 1963 models but that is wrong because it was moved inside prior to that. The 1963 models were the first to receive casting number 47614-58A. Later there were a couple of other changes and the next casting number was 47614-58B which is what you have. At this stage your swingarm is what I refer to as Type 9 and although I’m not exactly sure when it first appeared it seems to be around 1968 or later.

Via two emails in December 2012 I sent Bruce my info on the different swingarms I’d run across and I explained to him the problems I’d found with his swingarm info on pages 65-66.

The second edition of Bruce’s 1937-64 book is available now but I won’t receive mine for a few more days so I don’t know what’s in it as far as the BT round-tube swingarm is concerned.
Eric
wallofdeath
Bikes: 47FL, 48F, 58FLH, 64FLH, 68FLH

Post by wallofdeath »

Great stuff Rubone and SBT.
Just the kind of info I was looking for.
Many thanks.

Return to “Frame / Transmission”