Could be the Clutch

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Re: Could be the Clutch

Post by PanRider »

Richie, I know it's a fixed jet. I believe someone else asked about adjustment. I said I can adjust the idle is all. Thanks for the note though. I'm not sure what's going on. Haven't had a chance to get out and dig into things. I rebuilt the Bendix in the fall and had it running. Hard to start but when I got it running it didn't leak gas then. So I'm surprised it is leaking now. I've got a filter on it that I cleaned out as well. But like I said, I just need to get some time to spend with her and get all these things figured out. I'm afraid I've got a no. of issues going on and will have to go step by step. Gas issue first, then starting issue. Your knowledge is appreciated.
Kim
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Kim!

I know nothing of modern carbs (and just learning about the old ones...) but an associate told me today of his issues with a Bendix that he has run for many years on a Chief.

It seems now it likes to flood as if the float is sticking for cold starts, especially if he shuts the petcock a minute before rolling in the garage the previous run.

"Don't do that" wasn't satisfactory advice, (and I'm not about to make replacement floats either, as he requested,) but it would seem that the design doesn't like to go dry, or have the float drop quite deep within the bowl.

I would imagine that the "assist" spring is supposed to keep the float from falling too deep.

But I'm conjuring, of course...

....Cotten
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Cotten, that makes sense. I've had the gas shut off all winter with little in the tank to begin with. Upon filling the tank and starting it I found it was leaking gas. Once it has been soaked, will the problem stop? I've had my gas shut off since finding it leaking and haven't had a chance to get out in the garage to see what happens once I turn the gas back on. I just rebuilt the carb in the fall and it wasn't like rocket science. But I'm sure there is room for me to error. There is a leather plunger and one is supposed to soak it in gas when putting it together, as I did. Maybe that plunger dried out during the winter. Maybe now it has been re-soaked it will work. I'm anxious to find out! I may just open the shutoff up and see what happens tonight. Thanks for your input.

Kim
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Turned the gas on tonight for about 20 minutes. Didn't try to start it. Too cold. Didn't leak though.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Panrider---Todays rebuld kits are not good!--I have found it nessasary to lightly sand the 3-fluted Viton tipped needle that rides in the bore!.Just a very light removal with some used paper does the job!.-(Don't hit the Viton tip by accident).The leather if left out of fuel IS DRY!--(Its good to rub some white grease or vasolene when storing it for winter!.However all is not lost--but remove the plunger with the leather seal & resoak it using a light coat of white grease for 24hrs.-Then just wipe lightly & stick in a shotglass of fuel for an hour!.Take it out & it will be swelled!--SO a LIGHT coat of WHITE GREASE & carefully working it into the bore will help it not splitting on you!-or worse the split leads to cracks & then it jams-up you shooter!.FOR LEATHER wrapped plungers THIS I have found is the BEST way to avoid trouble 150-miles down the road!.----GOOD-LUCK,,,,,RICHIE
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Richie, great advice. I'll do that. I can see where that would be a problem going down the road at some point. Grease is a good idea. Thanks.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

I read a post here somewhere about checking for spark. So i put the cam on low side of points, stuck a piece of metal into the spark plug holder, opened the points with a screwdriver and held the metal connected to spark plug wire up to the motor. Spark I got was very small, I would describe it as white with a blue cast to it. There wasn't a lot of spark there. Not sure what I'm looking at, whether it is a good spark or not. Did this to both plug wires, same kind of spark from each.
Small spark, white with blue cast.... that sound right? Trying to determine whether my coil is a problem or not..
itsRICH
Bikes: 1948 Panhead chopper kit bike

Post by itsRICH »

I had my bike sit for a little over a month, when I was painting it and when I put it back together and started her for the first time, it ran like crap, backfiring, front and rear cylinders, excessive stumbling, I checked each cable with plug to ensure a good spark and found that I had two bad spark plugs, the spark was not comming from where it normally does on the top of the electrode but off the side of the ensulator to the side of the L thing that bends over the electrode, replaced both plugs and ran fine afterwards

Return to “Troubleshooting”