Modifying a 64 Pan Cam Cover to suit a 73 Shovel

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
jamesn
Bikes: 55 Panhead - 70's style chopper

Modifying a 64 Pan Cam Cover to suit a 73 Shovel

Post by jamesn »

Hi all, can anybody please assist me with details on how to modify a 64 Panhead Cam Cover "side oiling" to suit a 73 Shovelhead "end oiling"

From what I understand the cam bush on a 64 cover will need to be machined down for cam end float clearance. And the Pinion side oiler hole needs to be welded up and pinion shaft bush requires no oiler hole?

Refer picture attached of a modified 65 cam cover made to suit a 73 shovelhead. Can anybody tell me if this is all that is required if modifying a 64 cam cover to suit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Modifying a 64 Pan Cam Cover to suit a 73 Shovel

Post by Bosheff »

I'll assume yer talkin bout mountin a -73 oil pump on a pan bottom, to make it a "full flow system", right? Go with a -73 cam bushing and ya should be golden. On a 64 bottom ya shouldn't have to drill any new passages in the right case if memory serves me....bosheff
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

That would be impossible since Harley changed to the Cone Motor in 1970. The peanut shovel was only made from 1966 to 1969. Before you go modifying anything you better find out what year bottom end you really have.
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

The picture is of the modified 65 Panhead cover that has come off a motor built by Tedd Cycles. It's a 88" Panhead Gen/Alt engine, so the engine is built with 'end oiling'.

I don't like the look of the plain finish cam cover these engines come with and I recall you are able to modify a 64 cover to suit an 'end oiling' pinion shaft.

Just wanting to know if as per the picture shown of the Tedd Cycle modifications is all that is required to make my original 64 cam cover to suit this engine. From what I can see everything is identical in oil passages, measurement and bush sizing. My 64 cover even fits the engine better then the 65 cover.

The only difference I'm able to ID (apart from the cam bush height for cam end float) is that the pinion bush oil exit hole in the casting has been welded up and there is no oil hole in the pinion bush.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Still confused as to what engine you have. You're saying the picture is a 65 cover from one of Taiwan Teddy's replica motors, but you're working with an OEM 64 cover, & want to put it on a 73 shovel. (Which would not have a peanut lower) So when you're asking if the 65 mod is all that's required to make the 64 cover suit "This" engine, exactly what engine are you talking about??? Are you saying you have a replica 65 Pan lower with 73 Shovel upper???? Need to know what lower end you're talking about putting the cover on & is it OEM or Replica????
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Just curious, oil can still get into the pinion bushing to supply the "end" of the shaft correct? How do you set the depth of the bushing in the gear cover? I assume it is shaped like a top hat?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The bushing is round with a flat milled on one side not quite to the shaft end. It presses in until it hits a shoulder in the cover. The milled flat allows oil to get into the cavity that is visible on the end of the bushing hole which in turn is against the end of the shaft, therefore feeding the bottom end. The flat is aligned with the existing hole in the cam cover.
In my opinion full flow oiling conversions are a waste of time. A cure for a problem that doesn't exist. When H-D went to full flow oiling they suddenly had tons of problems with lifters staying pumped up. Coincidence? I think not!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My 51 stroker had the three oil hole crank pin, (one hole for each bearing set). Another view on these pins was too much oil would let the bearings slip instead of roll, I had solid lifters so no problems there.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

The new bushings will have to be reamed or fitted. The end play for the cam will have to be reset. Guessing you already have a late model pump to keep up with this?
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Getting back to the main question, You can not put a peanut cover on a 73 shovel, they were cone motors, so exactly what bottom end do you have??? and is it OEM or an after market Taiwan Ted Replica???
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Hauula Pan wrote:Getting back to the main question, You can not put a peanut cover on a 73 shovel, they were cone motors, so exactly what bottom end do you have??? and is it OEM or an after market Taiwan Ted Replica???
His genny mill is running an end oiler pinion, shovel style. The bushing to be installed in the genny cover will have to oil to the end of the pinion rather than side. He will need to press, pin and fit an end oiler bushing in his genny cover.
jamesn

Post by jamesn »

My 64 cam cover pinion bush is a side oil feeder so I will need to install a 73 pinion bush for it to suit my new engines end oiling pinion shaft, i.e. a Shovel oiling configuration.

Regarding my new engine; it's an S&S bottom end and barrels with STD heads, so it's not a Taiwan replica. It's one of Tedd's Cycles 88" alt/gen 'Frankenpans' that are very much like my old HD 84" engine that I recently blew to pieces after 18 years of hard running. However, my old engine was all OEM parts dated 1955-1974 with S&S and Andrews internals.

Regarding fitment, my old 64 cam cover fits my new Tedd Cycle 88" better than the 65 cam cover replica that these engine come with. The only difference is the pinion oiling configuration.

Thank you everybody for your assistance. Once I've completed the modifications to my new engine I'll post details and pictures.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”