Please help get my 58' running, again

58kicker
Bikes: FL 1200 1958

Please help get my 58' running, again

Post by 58kicker »

Hi

I have a pretty stock 58' with a 6 volts battery and a CV carb.

A couple of weeks ago my local mechanic had the bike in for some minor repairs, and he desided to change the points and the condenser - when I picked up the bike, it ran great, and started much easier than it used to, so I was happy.

After riding the bike for a week without any problems, I fired the bike up a saturday morning to go for a ride, but as I went down the road I immediately noticed that something was wrong - I turned around and managed to bring the bike back home, but it backfired and would not take gas. I crawled back with 20 mph.

When I got home, I noticed some rust in the fuel filter (I know I have some rust in the tanks), so I thought that it was just dirt in the carb - but after I have cleaned it two times, I still haven't found the problem. It will start, and I can keep it alive with full choke and by twistning the throttle, but it won't idle without choke and I can't raise the rpms when I twist the throttle.

At first I thought this must be a fuel problem, but as the problem occur over night, I'm beginning to suspect the ignition - I tested the spark plugs on the cylinder heads, and they seems to be fine.

Any suggestions to what to look for next - my loacal mechanic tested for manifold leaks?

Regards,

Anders
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Please help get my 58' running, again

Post by john HD »

try a new set of plugs.

john
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Hi John

I had a spare set I tried, but no luck.

Regards,

Anders
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Change points and condenser again....

OR if it was running good with the old ones, put them back in.

Double check to see that the carb was put back of correctly after testing the manifold for leaks......

Everything clean and tight.

George
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Does anyone know the specs of the primary and secundary wire in a 6 volt coil, so I can test it with an ohmmeter?

Points and condensers are cheap, so I will get a new set - I don't have the old ones.

Anders
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

AS George suggested!--Check all bolts & make sure the carb.-support is tight!--If you have rust in the tank!--Even ir you blow the filter clean, Some rust will get past the filter! & into the carb.---I would drop the bowl & blow out all passages!-(Take the carb. off!--Your better off!)--Then you can clean all the passages & blow them dry easy!.---Check the main jet-tube & make-sure none of the small pin-size holes are clogged!--This will lead to your cond.---If you have spark, Then the bikes points & cond. & coil are working!--It starts but you need a puddle of gas to keep her running!--(VACUUM-LEAK)--After you clean carb. & bolt-it-up,--BUBBLE TEST the manifold & clamps, & DONT be shy with the soapy-water!!--Use a brush & load it on there!, Put wherever the o-ring clamps are & any connetions for carb. to manifold!--Also hit the tin screw above the intake-port of manifold on the head!-(they have been known to get a pin-size hole there due to the pourous casting of the heads!.---If you see bubbles on 1 or both clamps, loosen a little then start to tighten them just until the leak STOPS!-NO MORE!--The CARB. SUPPORT should be bolted up before you do this BUBBLE-TEST!----I would get the RUST out of the tanks!--A good cleaning is def. in order!--& make-sure your vented cap did not swell-up & block off the venting from this CRAP GAS we have!!---Take your time & you will get her to PURRRR again!----RICHIE 8)
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

I did a quick Google search, try this.

http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

george
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Hi Richie

I have had the carb of twice - everything is clean, only found a little dirt in the bottom.

Thanks for the input - I will go through your list :D

George, I did a Google search myself, but came up with different specs - I think the specs must be different for a 12 volt and 6 volt, mine is 6 volt.

I will test it, and post my readings, maybe someone can tell me, if it's good or bad.

Anders
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Hi again - good news!

I tested the coil yesterday - 4 ohms on the primary and 11.000 on the secundary.

I put the coil back on, and tried to fire up the bike, but without any luck.

On my way home from work, I had picked up a new condenser - when I installed this, the bike fired up at the third kick.

I turned off the choke, and the bike ran perfect at idle - I twisted the throttle and everything worked fine.

Then I went for a short ride - the first couple of miles no problems, but then the bike started to hesitate like it skipped a spark, especially when accelerating. I turned around and drove home, the problem seemed to get worse.

Obviously the old condenser must have been bad, but now the new one seems to have a defect too - the dealer told me, that there is only one type of condenser, no matter if it's a 6 volts or 12 volts bike, is this right - or do I need a special condenser for this old bike? He tested it to 216 μF, to be sure it was good.

When I got home, I took the coil off again, and know it tested 1-8-2 ohms on the primary(4 ohms before the ride) and 12.000 ohms on the secundary - can a bad coil burn the condenser or what is going on?

Anders
BlainesGarage
Bikes: 1963 FLH
1983 XLX

Post by BlainesGarage »

Pull the fuel line off of the carb, open the petcock, and check to see that you have good flow from the tank. If its just a dribbling drip, the carb bowl is filling up as it sits, but the flow cant keep up after you go down the road.
kevock1950
Bikes: 1950 Panhead chopper
1977 Shovelhead custom

Post by kevock1950 »

I'd suspect that coil...first. Coils, when going bad, will usually do so when hot.

Then...have a look at the points and the points plate...any chance the points lockdown screw is loose?

Also, if you arent sure you've throughly cleaned out all passageways and jets in your carb, I would do that...again. A small bit of rust or particles in that carb will give you those symptoms.

And as stated above, clean and seal that tank as you'll be fighting this constatntly! Ask me how I know.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Anders!

Yes, both 6 and 12v systems use the same condensor.

Please check that battery is holding its charge, and the ground strap is clean and secure.
As Kevock1950 points out, some coils will fail only when warm, so a heat gun might help with the diagnosis; ignition switches are notorious for intermittent problems, too.

But I always start with a manifold leak-test, as rarely does only one thing go wrong at a time.

Good luck!

....Cotten
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

If you have a after market gas shut OFF valve located on the main line out of the left side......it might have a filter "inside" the LEFT Side gas tank.....Check that out also ! "Good Luck .
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Thanks guys - I found it :D

The condenser was rubbing against the center shaft in the distributor, so the shaft was constantly kicking the condenser, rookie mistake :oops:

When I adjusted the condenser, the bike fired up at second kick - I went for a short ride, and it didn't miss a beat :D

kevock1950: Cleaning the tanks is on my to do list for the winter :)

Anders
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Anders,

I feel your pain about the mistake.....

My WLA has an adapter plate/assembly on its circuit breaker base allowing me to use Bosch points..

Well, when I was having fits trying to get the engine run right, I changed points and condenser............it would not even run with the cap on......cap off it ran...

What the heck? Well, my silly ass put the new points and condensor wires where they would touch the cap!.....aahhhh. I felt like such a idiot when I found that silly mistake.

We all will make them.

Enjoy the fact that you found it, and the bikes up and running!

George

Return to “Troubleshooting”