Super E accelerator pump issue

S&S carburetor isues
1958ken
Bikes: 1958 FL
1995 FLHT-P

Super E accelerator pump issue

Post by 1958ken »

Hey Guys,
1958 Ken here,I have a question about the accelerator pump on my Super E. I'm not seeing any fuel spraying into the carb when the bike is not running. With the bike running,I do see the fuel spraying in. A squirt of fuel would be a big help on cold kick starts.
Any help is always apprieciated.
Thanks,Ken.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Super E accelerator pump issue

Post by 58flh »

58KEN---Take your carb. & clean the passages!--S&S-E carbs. are plagued from the box!--I install maybe 3-4 good ones out of 10!--The Problem most likely you are having is (BINDING of the float-pin!---Take some emery & sand the pin ,along with the needle!-The needle is 3-sided!-just hit the sifes & be careful not to touch the Viton-tip!.-Put it together & make sure it all moves smoothly!--Blow into inlet & it should pass air easily,now turn it upsidedown & blow again--no air should go past needle & seat!--When Adj. the bowl hight to the recomended 1/8--make sure it dont rub on the bowl gasget!!!--on the accel-pump blow it with copressor & make sure the diaphram isnt ruptured & if not make sure its installed corectly with the spring.--This will give you a reliable Runner!--The G carb. has same problem!--not a big deal to fix,BUT WE should not have to after spending hard earned $$ for them!--GOOD-LUCK---RICHIE 8)
1958ken
1995 FLHT-P

Post by 1958ken »

Thanks,Richie.I will try your suggestion regarding the float pin.Thanks again,Ken.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

You may have the pump shut down, there is a flat head adjustment screw for the pump. Can you start and run the bike? Like Richie says, make sure you have fuel in the bowl....everything else is secondary. If the bike starts and runs, check the pump and adjust for spray...Hope that helps, Adam
1958ken
1995 FLHT-P

Post by 1958ken »

Thanks for the reply,Adam.The pump is turned on,I can see the "spray" into the carb when the bike is running.I just don't see any spray when I twist the throttle with bike not running.The bike does start and runs great once it gets going,just a little hard on cold starts sometimes.I'm going to try Richie's fix,see if it helps.
Thanks again for the responce.This site and the members are AWESOME!
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Thats what does not make sense to me, if you have fuel in the bowl, it should pump running or not. Its hard for me to say without looking at it, you should get a nice spray in the shape of a fan from the pump. Let us know what you find, good luck, Adam
1958ken
1995 FLHT-P

Post by 1958ken »

Yeah, Adam, it's a real "head scratcher". There is a real nice fan shaped spray,but only when the bike is running. I will report back with further details. Thanks again.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

When you take the pump off be careful, should be two little check balls and a spring, seems they come up missing allot. the slot in the spray nozzle can be cleaned out with a feeler guage. I think you'll find your problem at the checks or the nozzle.

Return to “S&S”