Panhead right hand tank thread and gas strainer thread.

Early vs later 57-65 pan tanks

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
47str8leg
Bikes: 41 knucklehead
57 Panhead
63 Pan
94 Dyna Wide Glide

Panhead right hand tank thread and gas strainer thread.

Post by 47str8leg »

Bought a set of pan tanks awhile back and were told they were foot shift tanks. Starting to wonder about that.
I am running an s&s carb and had a aftermarket crossover line and a partial ( 1 nipple is missing ) colony kit ( 7807-3 )for changing the tanks over to flexible hose. The crossover line and the one remaining nipple seem to be course thread. My right side tank (brake side ) looks like fine thread. Were the earlier pan tanks fine thread and the later tanks course thread because colony offers two different kits..
Anyone know what the thread size and pitch are ?
I’d like to chase the fitting on it regardless.

Tried searching under panhead for “gas tank threads” and other various combos but came up with unrelated topics.

T.I.A ,
Tim
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Panhead right hand tank thread and gas strainer thread.

Post by RUBONE »

47str8leg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:01 am Bought a set of pan tanks awhile back and were told they were foot shift tanks. Starting to wonder about that.
I am running an s&s carb and had a aftermarket crossover line and a partial ( 1 nipple is missing ) colony kit ( 7807-3 )for changing the tanks over to flexible hose. The crossover line and the one remaining nipple seem to be course thread. My right side tank (brake side ) looks like fine thread. Were the earlier pan tanks fine thread and the later tanks course thread because colony offers two different kits..
Anyone know what the thread size and pitch are ?
I’d like to chase the fitting on it regardless.

Tried searching under panhead for “gas tank threads” and other various combos but came up with unrelated topics.

T.I.A ,
Tim
Footshift and handshift tanks have exactly the same fittings on them, a nipple on the right and a threaded hole on the left. The difference is in the lack of a place for the handshift to bolt on and the shifter pivot.
There are crossover kits for different types of line fittings. Earlier tanks use a solidly mounted flare fitting on the main fuel line (tank to carb), later type (1950 and up) use a rubber compression fitting. The right side is the same in all instances and the difference only affects how the feed line connects, and not the crossover.
Ratedspeed
Bikes: 1954 FL
1983 FLHTP

Re: Panhead right hand tank thread and gas strainer thread.

Post by Ratedspeed »

Str8leg,
The thread of the right hand tank fitting should be 7/16-20 for the early tanks

Mike
Attachments
217202318335.png
217202318335.png (195.86 KiB) Viewed 88 times
2172023174243.png
2172023174243.png (711.63 KiB) Viewed 92 times

Return to “Panhead”