1980 Flh 80 S and S e starting routine ?'s

Does mild ..440 lift cam influence starting over stock

All Shovelhead topics
80Flh
Bikes: 1980 Flh 1990 Flhs 2006 Heritage Springer Classic

Re: 1980 Flh 80 S and S e starting routine ?'s

Post by 80Flh »

Thanks Hogey, my bike is electric leg. Pretty sure after chasing rabbits down the wrong hole it is not squirting in the atomizing fan spray desired that pushes the fuel further nto the intake manifold so it will fire on one or two twists with enrichener.
I believe the enrichener circuit only ads more fuel once bike is running after startup that is why it isn't helping.
Thus why I have to use more twists to start.
Rebuilding accelerating pump with new parts and clearing ejector nozzle to better add more atomized petrol is my plan.
All comments appreciated.
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

Post by Raytag »

When pulling the enricher I believe everybody pulls it up all the way. Not just half-way

I`m too chicken to pull out the acc-nozzle.

With the petcock open, bike cold and not running, how`s that squirt look when you crack the throttle ?
In a perfect world you see a snake tongue look alike squirt.
Most Super-E I`ve seen just shoot one single jet and it works fine for cold start.
Even with petcock closed the fuel in this huge bowl provides enough fuel for maybe half dozen squirts or even more

The e-start fellas I watched (any old bike) using mostly this "2 hands on the right end procedure" :lol:
Basically left thumb pressing the button , right hand doing the twist.
Engine cold, the enricher pulled up all the way, they twist once maybe 2 times the throttle, closing it again then pressing the starter button
and after two or three revolutions opening the throttle just a lil
Does it start fine or just misfire ?

Aside of the order of assembly and a torn diaphragm I cannot imagine any problem with the acc pump :?
But you should be able to see that when looking into the open carb. Engine OFF -> Twist -> no squirt -> something wrong with the pump
Once, just once I used an extensive ultrasonic cleanup and yea the owner confirmed a snake tongue squirt into the venturi for maybe a couple of dozen starts. After that it was a single shot again but all was well.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I have found that it helps much to have a hot battery, that is, be sure you have at lease 12.5 volts starting power. If I leave my '68, w/ $&$ G model, on a charger, not tender, over night, it literally jumps to life with 2 squirts & full enrichener, no throttle. Otherwise, tender only, it may take a few tries to get it to light during marginal weather conditions. I am not completely happy with my battery, but it does work with a little coaxing....
....RooDog....
PS: Once warmed up, it starts well for the rest of the day's riding adventure.....
80Flh

Post by 80Flh »

Ragtag and Roodog,

Gained some ground. After my no fire cold start.
Sprayed a shot of starting fluid. Motor fires immediately. All along I felt this motor wants a good drink to start. Rechecked timing.
Decided to turn pump out 3 turns from seated.
My twist now is a powerful piss stream of petrol.
Gues what she fired off but with the pump set at 1.5 turns no bark., no start. Carb kit to rebuild pump arrives Tuesday.
After I install that pretty sure I can turn pump back down a bit. From what I observed I now get a much improved cold start.
80Flh

Post by 80Flh »

Great news to all of you who offered assistance and helped me trouble shoot. After another go back through the carb again and a basic rebuild kit from S and S for the Super E it now has some new goodies, needle valve, pump diaphragm, check balls, check ball spring,, and o rings. That seemed to allow it to start first try and enrichener works as supposed to. The techs at S & S explained the enrichener circuit needs the motor running to pull the extra fuel for warm up high idle.
My personal preference is once started to set throttle lock scew to maintain idle at 1000 rpms.
Very glad it got sorted and thanks all.
.295, 70 Main, 1 &3/4 mixture, 2 on the pump.
Last edited by 80Flh on Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
80Flh

Post by 80Flh »

Update for all who helped. 2 twists of gas no enrichener and the Shovelhead fires right up. Set throttle lock to 950-1000 RPMS . No more difficult to start issues. Your suggestions and tech tips very helpful and help me sort through the issue. :D

Return to “Shovelhead”