Rebuild engine from boxes

Requesting advice

All Shovelhead topics
Hogey
Bikes: 2001 fxst 68 shovel

Re: Rebuild engine from boxes

Post by Hogey »

Sorry for hijacking but in OZ when i take my 68 to Vic Roads ( Rego place ) i need import Title. And as pre 70 frame has no frame number they want that stamped the same as motor number. Thinking of doing it on a strip of Aluminum and just glue it on as i feel it could devalue $ the originality of my genny 68. I built a 52 Pan and had to argue till blue in the face i also had the harley bible stating vin was from motor number i got it passed but just, and that was a way back, so i will do the stamp trick to save the hassle. Once again Excalibur Excuse Me for butting in on your build.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

in OZ when i take my 68 to Vic Roads ( Rego place ) i need import Title.
Mine didn't need import title because it was previously rego'd in NZ, which subsequently expired in 2011. Lucky for me it had history. I know of a case where a bike stayed at the VIN place for 7 weeks while they sorted and solved various issues.
pre 70 frame has no frame number they want that stamped the same as motor number.
Right there says there's no proper appreciation of how early stuff was. Guessing that the computer program won't allow the VIN procedure to continue without something in the chassis number space.
Funny story, my '61 Pan was VIn'd by previous owner in '99. Chassis number listed as: 47851-58 (which is a casting number) :roll:
Thinking of doing it on a strip of Aluminum and just glue it on as i feel it could devalue $ the originality of my genny 68.
Like it.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Excalibur
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Glue one on, and glue the rivet heads on as well. :idea:
Hogey
Bikes: 2001 fxst 68 shovel

Post by Hogey »

RooDog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:22 pm Would any of these help?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... &_osacat=0
Your all over it Roo. good work
Excalibur
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Concluding this build with a big thanks to all those who helped. Bike is now road legal with VIN, registration and warrant-of-fitness.
From boxlots of dusty and rusted parts to the running, rideable bike is satisfying.
I would have struggled a lot without the help, guidance, encouragement.
This was my first bottom end job. I learnt a lot, avoided a few mistakes, checked, verified and rechecked again.
The speedo runs by GPS on 12v supply. It seems very accurate, steady and always connects to satellite.
The mufflers are my 2nd set, heavily patina'd. They are gutted and straight though. Lollipops improved running behavior somewhat but I want more improvement still. Looking at trying more baffles or maybe the other mufflers.
I have an O2 sensor port in front header. Keen to try this with my new analog gauge. Hoping to learn something and maybe take another step.
Happy with the oil leak status. Front exhaust tower leaks faintly at bottom. Has silicone o-rings. Rear exhaust rocker spindle leaked from RHS but a new o-ring coated with 567 sorted it. Gearbox leaks from probably the mainshaft which is better than expected considering there was a chunk broken away where that thin seal sits. I glued it in place.
The belt drive worked perfect from day one. It got a new belt plus the trans adjuster. Alignment was by straight edge.
Clutch is reasonable almost as good as the Pans', no shudder etc with new plates by Drag Specs. Plan is to fettle clutch the same way as I did the Pan.
Gears are whiney in 2nd and 3rd. It's doing better than I expected given the state of everything.
Rear brake needs work on the bracket plus it's low on power.
Front brake is excellent. It has semi-sintered pads?
Since photo taken, a headlight visor has been fitted.
Headlight runs LED. It's the best spread of light of any I've had so far.
Rear fender has been cut short at front so some sort of fix is planned. Also front fender might get a mudflap.
Oiltank repair is good, no leaks. The added filler/dipstick position can be seen in the left side pics.
A warning buzzer/flashing red light alerts ignition is on. Initially I wanted a 10 second delay relay but am happy with "instant on". The object is to avoid leaving ignition on accidentally. See video below to hear (and see) buzzer/red light prior to starting.
Patina is something I've been working on and taking care to retain any existing. The tank came to me painted black but that green was underneath.
Probably the fenders will get similar patina treatment. It attracts a lot of comment.
Kick starting is easy and very predictable. Fortunately the Pans' starting rituals worked on this bike. Actually both my BT are starting really well in all conditions. A 2nd kick is rare.
More pics, details, information, specs etc are on my blog (see below my signature pic)
sshh1.jpg
sshh2.jpg
sshh3.jpg
sshh4.jpg
The brass cannister is a vintage fire extinguisher, hollowed out with a modern one inside. The top is quick-detachable using toggle latches. Vintage brass badges added for decoration and intrigue.

I want to do a few more finishing touches and refinements. The forks still have too much stiction, though they are better than before. The front caliper didn't get new seals and they need them.

Hope this is interesting, hope it helps. Please let me know. Any other details are for the asking.
Thanks.

Shovelhead kickstart and run video
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Nice job, you have done well....
....RooDog....

Return to “Shovelhead”